Anti-Malware with the best heuristics

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by pingen2000, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pingen2000

pingen2000 Registered Member

As we all know, there is plenty of information regarding retrospective testing of anti-malware software.

However, I am having a difficult time finding information concerning the heuristics aspect of this type of software.

I thought I would ask the many knowledgable people here for their opinions.

Basically, I keep hearing SAS is great for cleanup, but their heuristics are not as good. Same goes for AVG AM. A-Sqaured...who knows. Boclean, I used it previously, but not since Comodo took over.

I am putting together a system for my better half, which will have NOD32 or Avira plus Defensewall, Output Post Pro, and an ati-spyware application. (Yes I know, I should add HIPS, FD-ISR, ATI and more, but it isn't my system, so what do I care).

Anyways..back to my original question. Which anti-spyware/malware application has the best heuristics? Would I be better to go with a combination suite such as A2 IDS?

Any help for this confused individual will be appreciated.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For heuristics AVG-AS and SAS have it.
    A-Squared apparently doesn't have heuristics.
    No idea how these programs' heuristic detections would compare vs. each other.

*Use the forum search and you should be able to find some threads on A-Squared and SAS regarding heuristics.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Pingen2000,

We are behind a hardware firewall and have 3 PC's (one has vista64 so that is a different security setup), the other two

- olderst PC (wife): A2 IDS + DefenseWall + WinPooch (registry protection, I have posted a filter)
    - kids PC: ThreatFire free + GeSWall Pro

Yes no antivirus and they are running clean for over a year. The kids PC used to be for my 16 year old Son (defenitely a risky surfer).

A2 has the advantage to ThreatFire that it it comes in many languages. Its Intelligent False Positive feature is absolutely marveleous. Only downside is that is designed for Vista, so it does not protect against some worms (that is why I have the additional registry protection and file protection).
    ThreatFire has the advantage over A2 that it is free and something stronger (see the how to set up custom rules in Wilders).

So when you are in a different time zone than us (we live next to the country where Antivir iis located, so updates are nearly impossible to download, because they distribute the updates for the paid users) and your native language is English, I would go for Antivir free, ThreatFire free and DefenseWall.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Looks a bit like a blue version of Spybot with the icons on the bottom and not the side. I'll give it a go on the basement computer and see how it goes.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When this thread runs it's course you will still be just as confused. Your best shot would be to read the AV-Comparitives website, and then trial some of the software listed.

6. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Why does heuristics matter too much if you can see the overall detection?... surely you rather be protected from the majority of malware rather than 0-day protection.
    ... Personally, with me, I rather be protected from the majority rather than a few additional 0-days

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

A-Squared IDS isn't free - it's a part of A-Squared Malware. A-Squared Freeware is just a scanner.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/compare/

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Oeps,

Let me correct that:

(Corrected in original post)

Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.