Anti-Keyloggers

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Logan5, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good Anti-Keylogger program for me to try out?
    Prefer something with a free trial period so I can see how it works.

Thanks
    Logan

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

3. webster

webster Registered Member

Hi´

Take a look at Snoopfree here. Donationware, easy to use, and it works :) .

4. shameless1

shameless1 Guest

Spycop no longer has a trial version. That's ok because we don't need companies with that kind of attitude anyhow, there are better programs available. All software should have a trial version available, or they should go out of business and try something else like selling hats or something. I agree with Webster go with Snoopfree, not a bad program and free.

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Really? Perhaps we'd better tell them that since it's still being shown as having one on this page: SpyCop FAQ .

SpyCop's "attitude" is entirely up to them - it's their program and they'll distribute it how they want to. Witness BoClean (another excellent software) - you can't even get a copy without paying for it upfront - period.

~in all fairness to guest poster....removed slight personal attack....Bubba~
    "not a bad program" - OMG! We agree on something!!! However - where's SnoopFree's track record? (Either testimonials or posts from anyone anywhere detailing how SF caught something malicious on their computer). How's SF's support? Do they help you totally remove any spy software found?

The full version of SpyCop has a totally-proven track record and their support is second-to-none. And that's about all that needs to be said when it comes to keylogger detection. Pete

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2005
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since this topic is under the Privacy and Security forum I assume that programs such as Counterspy would detect a keylogger. If not what about other programs such as Anti-trojan and AVs?

Jerry

7. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

To be more exact, sniveling,cowardly annoymous posters who spend their time bashing 'excellent' (how could they be otherwise since Pete uses them) programs that Spy1 uses . :)

Well tests have shown it can detect commerical keyloggers, but if you want a real life example, you got to wait a while, because

a) Keyloggers being placed on people's system is not a everyday thing
    b) The product is still fairly new, and user base is small , which further reduces the chance of someone getting his ass saved by snoopfree
    c) The user base for such products is generally sophiscated enough and uses other layers of defece which need to fail first before snoopfree (or whatever) gets to do it job.

It's the same thing probably for other secondary niche security products (everything except AV,firewall and anti-adware), they rarely get to do their job since everything else gets them first. Add the fact that the user base is smaller, product is new, andotes about how product x saved their life is in relatively short supply.

See for example https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=80125 , where despite an 18 post long thread about when PG last saved someone's ass, no-one gives a single example.

Does that mean PG is a lousy product?

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

lol! EXACTLY! I've been using SpyCop since back in the days of the original "wilders.org" - therefor, I know whereof I speak (as opposed to someone with a sour grapes attitude who doesn't even use the program).

I've seen first-hand how it detects keyloggers that others' didn't ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17255&page=3&pp=25&highlight=SpyCop ) and I've posted many times with examples of how fast their "TechSupport" turn-around time is.

Really? What tests? Links please?

BTW - I'm not knocking SnoopFree, guys ( http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13025848 ) - in case you've never noticed, it runs every day in my SYSTRAY (I paid for the program back when you still had to do that). And, I'm definitely looking forward to the next version of the program to see what it will do (and hoping that the new version remains free, also).

It does have one important advantage over SpyCop - it runs real-time, whereas SpyCop doesn't. That's not an issue either way here (since I'm running PG and RegDefend), but it could be for people who aren't absolutley sure they've got and are maintaining an absolutely clean computer.

If someone can not afford to purchase a dedicated, high-quality anti-keylogger program - or is simply too cheap to - then sure, I'd suggest SnoopFree (and have) in a heartbeat.

But I'd still throw in the caveat not to depend on it totally. Pete

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Logan5,

I used SnoopFree for a while. It appears that it works by detecting programs that have acquired global hooks, similar to the way ProcessGuard works, only PG is pro-active. Another program that works similarly is Anti-Keylogger:

http://www.anti-keyloggers.com/

I am not sure how this program is loaded up, but it is loaded up very early and seems to be looking for keyloggers in the same fashion that SnoopFree looks for them, but they may have a more sophisticated searching algorithm because it is developed by a company that creates keyloggers. I could never get to a high a high comfort level with the company for this reason.

Another interesting tool is Security Task Manager:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

It rates applications based upon their "risky behavior" and will alert applications that behave like keyloggers (e.g. hidden window, global keyboard hook, etc.). The paid version has a companion product called SpyCop which runs in real-time. Only, the anti-keylogger setting has to be reset to On each time the product is started up. This seems to be a hole, but it does similar checks once it is started up.

A while ago, a member of this forum ran some keylogger tests against known keyloggers. Here is the thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50166&highlight=keylogger

Hope this helps,
    Rich

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Perhaps you're referring to SpyProtector, Rich?

*And, yeah, I read that thread you linked to from here - for some reason, I had responded to it here (I can't keep up with myself, sometimes). Pete

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ shamless,

I have removed your most recent post due to personal attacks and in all fairness....I have edited out other posts directed at your person. I also ask that we all simply stick to the focus of the thread. Wasting packets about guest posting is fruitless....due to the fact Wilders Welcomes both Guest and Member posting.

12. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

EXACTLY. Whatever the great security expert spy1 uses, cannot be less than perfect, or less than the best of its breed :) . BTW do you use deepfreeze?

Of course you are not knocking it. You use it!! LOL. But you are using spycop too, so you will of course have motivation to justify paying for spycop on top of Snoopfree ,so you knock snoopfree compared to spycop! It would look silly if you paid for something that is useless eh? :)

I agree, because it would mean that spycop is useless. Seriously, of course I would supplement snoopfree with a signature based approach to keyloggers, that would be a no brainer.

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pollmaster - Please find somewhere - anywhere, actually - that I claim to be a "security expert". You can't, because I don't. I know exactly what works well for me here (through use and experience), though, and I certainly don't hesitate to openly recommend programs that fall into that category to others.

No, I use ShadowUser from ShadowStor (nice try, though).

<g> First of all, I don't have to "justify' anything - either to myself or you. I find supporting software developers to be quite satisfying when they're going in good directions. I also enjoy playing with all kinds of security-related programs - and seeing how they all get along with each other when you try to run them on the same machine (it enables me to report to the various makers' if their program conflicts with someone else's, for example).

SpyCop was around long before Snoopfree, Pollmaster - and it's so far from being "useless" that it makes your remark quite funny.

Even though I and a lot of others here have programs like ProcessGuard and RegDefend and fill-in-the-blank running all the time, I think you'll agree that there's an awful lot of people out there who don't.

That's why, when anyone asks about keylogger-detection specifically, I will always recommend a dedicated anti-keylogging app (in this case, SpyCop). I've made numerous posts on this board and others as to why. I'm not going to re-hash the whole thing again, so you can try using the "Search" function and "SpyCop" by Author spy1 if you're interested.

However, I liked the concept of an anti-keylogger app that ran resident and was so cheaply (at the time) priced, and I wanted the developer to be rewarded for his efforts, so I bought a license. I'm really failing to see why any of this would lead to any of the conclusions you seem to be coming up with.

See "funny" above.

Finally, something serious. (Thank you). And I quite agree. Pete

14. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

All,

Been gone for a few days but wanted to say thanks to all for the replies and input. I'll try what has been recommended.

Logan

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Pete,

Yes, it is Spy Protector. Thanks for the correction.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.