Another Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JimTram, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimTram

JimTram Registered Member

In reading posts on this forum, I noticed that FAT32 seems to used a lot, and is the format for the security zone. If so, why? I assumed NTFS with XP was the way to go! :doubt:

The secure zone is FAT32, so when it restores, it restores as FAT32? If so, how do I get it to NTFS again - Convert command?

Thanks again.

Jim T.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

The image is restored using the same file system as was used for the partition that was imaged so if the patition that the image was taken of was NTFS it will be restored as NTFS even if the image is stored using Fat 32. I don't know why Fat 32 is preferred for the secure zone.

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

FAT32 is simpler than NTFS. This means, that if something goes wrong, you have a much better chance of repairing a FAT32 partition than an NTFS partition. Also, many non-Microsoft disk utilities understand FAT32, while NTFS is more of an black art.

In short - paranoia :)

4. JimTram

Thanks Mareke & Minimax. One day I'll understand all this stuff, I think. :rolleyes:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Let me try to explain how the image is restored with Acronis True Image. When you create the image Acronis True Image takes into consideration the file system of the partition you image, i.e. the image includes the information of your file system. After the image is created it is an ordinary file and can be stored anywhere, on any file system. When you restore it the information in the image file is taken into account and you get the partition with the same file system you had previously on it.

Briefly, there is no connection between the file system of the partition you want to image and the one of the storage device.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. JimTram

Thanks, it is clear to me now. My confusion started when I read the manual and then some posts in this forum which obviously I read out of context.

Bottom line: Despite the way the manual is written, it is still far better than others, and your program is intuitive and quite effective. Thanks for your patience, and keep up the great work here in this forum.

Jim T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.