Another fine, messy mystery...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Suddenly, I'm having trouble with Startups: the cause > may be < Startup Guru, (from Lincoln Beach software)... but I'm not sure, yet.

From one bootup to the next, I no longer get the security apps loading as normal: there may be many of the processes running (for apps that are in the SysTray when/if all works well), but icons themselves
    are not in Tray where they should be. So, I have to then fire up the apps manually.

When something similar to this happened recently a Reg. restore via RegVac saved the day, but not this time.

Ideas HUGELY APPRECIATED/WELCOMED, on where to start
    looking for root of this problem, if you've had a similar problem.

If you have a sense of irony... had read about the XP flaw wherein icons may not appear in Systray but may then show up again at next reboot... and that perhaps a startup organizer type app may fix this.
    Not exactly, it would seem, but here again I just can't say for sure where problem/s lies. Ergh!

Thanks, for any ideas/help, on this. SG1 (Pat)
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sep 20, 2003
    I would start by uninstalling the startup organizer

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

May 28, 2004
    Portland, OR (USA)
    You can also try disabling the SSDP Discovery Service. Click Start > Run, run "services.msc" (without quotes), look for "SSDP Discovery Service", double click it and set it to "Disabled", then reboot. (Thanks bktII)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.