Another anti-spyware program, any good?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Will Rock U, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Rock U

Will Rock U Guest

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Reviews by users

here.

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I bought this anti-spyware some time ago and it's not on the rogue list from Eric L. Howes. See link in my sig.
    It's not one of the best like Spybot, Ad-aware or Webroot Spy Sweeper, but it's not bad either.
    Just my opinion. ;)

4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I tried it, but i suspect it finds too many false positives:

" TinyBar (multiple) general malware Download Accelerator (HKLM\software\classes\.vsl) registry key
    SuperBar (C:\Program Files\GameSpy Arcade\Profiles\(default)\settings.cfg) file *
    SuperBar (C:\Program Files\GameSpy Arcade\Profiles\33634864\settings.cfg) file
    Download Accelerator (C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\ChanDir\MMJB\MMC.xml) file
    NewtonKnows (C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\Bar.dll) file
    IBIS Toolbar (D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\RiseOFNations\data\cursors.xml) file
    SuperBar (D:\Program Files\Starship\data\settings "

I send them an email for more information about these enties, but the answered the following which wasn't very helpful on the false positives question :(
    "1. Open Spyware Doctor and perform a 'Live Update' as well as ensuring 'OnGuard' is set to activated.
    2. From the 'Status' section, please select 'Immunize Your Computer'
    3. Start a Full Scan
    4. If spywares are found, please press on the 'Check All' button. Then click on the 'Fix Checked' button and select 'Move to Quarantine and Remove'."

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Must agree with you there Ronny my friend.....also, I think it comes under the category of giving one the WOW factor, as in, finding things of no consequence really to make one think it's a bit of good gear so BUY me and see what I can REALLY do. :eek:

I did notice also, that whilst it was downloading I received four 'Nuke' warnings from my 'Outpost Pro' that I was under 'attack' from 'PCTOOLS', who are the Publishers of this programme??....whatever that's worth... ;)

Nipping off now to unload it... :D

Cochise, :cool:

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

funny i thought PC Tools is the maker of that software. they are advertising for Registry Mechanic too though its from Winguides. i wonder what is the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.