anonymoX Firefox Extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 0strodamus, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I searched the forums and didn't find any posts for the anonymoX Firefox extension, so I thought I would post it here. I haven't been using it for very long, but so far it works as advertised and seems to be very nice. :thumb:

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

3. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Thanks, i like the fact I can choose different ip, user agent etc,I found it to be faster than cocoon.:thumb:

4. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Their Privacy policy doesnt really make any sense though? they either do or they dont, how can they assist the authorities if they only log the first 2 blocks of your IP address? they either do or they dont, which is it?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That is a pretty goofy looking privacy policy for sure. It sounds like another one of those "we're assuming no one is going to stop and read the fine print" situations that are getting common.

6. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

That's a fallacy. For 90%+ of customers using a large ISP, those first two "blocks" of the IP address are more than enough information to be able to figure out who you are... it's just a matter of putting the pieces of the puzzle together. For example, let's say your IP is logged as 123.45.*.*. All they have to do is contact the ISP to which that net range is assigned, and from there they can simply get the timestamp information in the logs to figure out which particular client was connected to "anonymoX" server at the time in question.

Now, on the other hand, if you're already behind a VPN, then it would be much harder (if not impossible) to figure out your identity if only the first two quads of the IP are logged. A VPN provider typically has a much narrower range of assigned IP addresses than an ISP... so, hypothetically, 123.45.*.* could belong to a data center which houses several different VPN providers, proxies, etc... in which case there'd be no practical way of distinguishing one from another with just a partial IP.

7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

yea it said It could be used with Tor, I2P and JonDo, and I used it for testing purposes through a VPN. more suggestions or info on the subject would be useful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.