Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I don't see anything complicated about using OpenVPN in Windows, but in Linux I compiled and built OpenVPN from source and ran it from the command line, now that's a different beast... ;)

I used OpenVPN with SwissVPN and it wasn't a problem this was all there was to it for Windows;

http://www.swissvpn.net/openvpn.html

In Linux it took me awhile to get the hang of it at the command line, but once I saw what was going on it was simple.

If I can get OpenVPN connected to the VPN service why would I need VPN Check?

P.S. Found another Swedish VPN, boy a lot of VPN services in that tiny Sweden, LOL...

https://www.vpntunnel.se/en/index.php (€5/month unlimited too.)

2. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

If your VPN connection drops out for any reason all your online traffic will spill out into the clear. This is a major issue if you use file sharing applications. VPNCheck and the custom clients of some VPN providers prevent this by blocking traffic until connectivity is restored.

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

In Linux, you can configure the kernel firewall via iptables to permit outbound traffic and responses via the VPN, and to block all other traffic. The link to XeroBank's instructions for doing that has been posted numerous times on Wilders.

In Windows XP, the standard firewall only affects inbound connections. You can use netsh to configure TCP/IP for all interfaces except the VPN as static (non-DHCP) routes with no DNS servers. However, I don't believe that would prevent connections to numeric IPs. Better would be to use a good third-party firewall, IMHO, that permits NIN-specific rules.

In Windows 7, you can associate each firewall profile (Work, Home and Public) with particular NICs. For example, you could protect all NICs with the Work profile, using the default settings, for use when you're not using the VPN. You could protect just the VPN with the Private profile, also using the default settings. And you could then protect all other NICs with the Public profile, set to block all inbound and outbound connections.

Have any y'all tried that? I'm not currently using Windows 7 with VPNs, so it'd be a pain for me to test that approach.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have heard that this is good. But you think Tor is better?

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Xerobank is my VPN of choice. I had a Cryptohippe for a year and loved it. I have not renewed yet but most likely will. I have tried Tor again more recently and have been SHOCKED at how much faster it is!

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Forgot to ask, what's so big about the Netherlands server?

Ahh so VPN Check isn't just a tool for checking and getting the VPN up and running and secure, but once it's in place works as a checking tool for drops and then will block? Are there any other programs like VPNCheck that are worth looking at, or this is the only one of it's kind?

Ahh found VPNetMon
    http://vpnetmon.webs.com/

VPN Lifeguard (French language only) :(
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vpnlifeguard/

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you just said, LOL and come to an understanding of, what's the point of all of this?

1. As you mentioned Linux, outbound traffic and responses via the VPN, and to block all other traffic. If I'm using OpenVPN and make a connection to the VPN, I thought this is the only outbound traffic and responses, so what else is there and also needing blocking?

2. XP, I don't quite get all this, what's the need? Again I thought if I'm using OpenVPN in XP then that's all that is going on, that I connect to the VPN and it's the only traffic going on.... And then numeric IPs and NIN rules?

3. Win7 again pretty much the same as 1&2 above, what's the need for all this?

So, for myself I have a hardware firewall and software firewall, I run OpenVPN make my connection and I thought all is good? o_O

I'd go with Tor over JAP, much bigger project and the speeds have really improved.

I personally think at this point in time think some of the Swedish VPN are going to be better...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

How much faster would you say?

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

To be technical I couldn't give an exact figure, maybe 4 years ago 200-300K line speeds...

Today slow DSL around .5MB-1MB line speeds, maybe on occasion a little faster...

P.S. Noticed this service mentioned in another Wilders post;

Hotspot Shield
    http://hotspotshield.com/
    http://www.anchorfree.com/

@hierophant & nightrace my understanding is this isn't that complicated, you're just trying to prevent your DNS from leaking and getting connected to your ISP if the VPN connection dies.

@hierophant & nightrace also I'm not a networking guru, networking has been a bit of a weakness, but I see it two ways, two problems we want to stop when using VPN services.

1. We want to stop DNS from leaking.
    2. We want to keep ourselves protected from a dropped VPN connection.

Ok the way I see this, it's real simple, but maybe I'm wrong so if I am I'd like to have someone point this out.

1. Get a primary and secondary DNS from your VPN and use those, now no more DNS leak.

2. In the TCP/IP assign it to a fake IP.

Bingo, from what I now see, I've stopped a DNS leak and if my VPN dies, I'm not getting online because of the fake IP...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  9. nightrace

Most VPNs registered in Sweden only have servers in that country. If your online activity is split between two or more countries it makes any legal action against you more troublesome.

10. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Just like to ask this one. I used HotSpot Shiled before (not very long...quit using it too slow) and I noticed that you cannot use it on all your browsers except the default browser.

I'm too newbie to this(been using proxies..lol) but how can you set all browsers to use say, CyberGhost, SecurityKISS or etc.. to be under it's anonimity?

Also is it on-demand? I remember I can use Hotspotshield before or not when I browse.

Any ideas will be really helpful here.

Thanks!

PS;

Saw abraxass ealier..nice!

11. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Saw this one earlier. Some may be interested to take a look here.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I don't get what you are saying, please explain further...

By the way can someone please look up at my last two replies and answer all that?

THANKS

This looks nice thanks...

13. nix

nix Registered Member

That article at techsupportalert, which has been linked twice, last by JasonBourne, and edited by The_Blode, is pretty comprehensive for an introductory overview.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well the main discussion of this post is VPN, mainly using OpenVPN. Until you get comfortable with using it on your own I suggest signing up with Mullvad, http://mullvad.net/en/ they have a nice GUI you download and use and everything is taken care of. ;)

Abraxas Applications, LOL, that's going way beyond the scope of this post, LOL... In fact it has nothing to do with this post...

If this is for me, can you please give a link?

THANKS

15. nix

nix Registered Member

16. hierophant

See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1782952#post1782952

With the Linux kernel firewall, blocking outbound through all interfaces except for your VPN blocks everything, including DNS queries. If the firewall that you're using doesn't do that, you'll also need the fake DNS server tweak.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok well I appreciate it, but I'm beyond introductory, please look up at my last two replies, this is what I'm looking for info on all that...

THANKS

Yeah Linux you'd have to do things CLI and assign things not as easy as Windows.

But for now I was just talking about Windows, with a reply I made to that post...

I was looking more at what Steve was going on over at his site;
    https://xerobank.com/support/articles/how-to-prevent-vpn-dns-leaks/

Thinking about what Steve was showing wondering why a person had to go through all this trouble when all they have to do is use some other DNS or the VPN's DNS and then put in a fake IP in the TCP/IP settings and be done with it...

THANKS

18. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi;

As mentioned "newbie here" so pardon for the breaking the discussion on VPN I thought that since "Anonymity" was being discussed it was kinda related. Just got curious with the "Abraxass" metioned previously at page 2.

Thanks for the Mullvad link. Am checking it out right now.

Is it really free? There's a "... for 5c a month" mentioned....

Cheers!

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes the Anonymity is all about the VPN and vice/versa... Virtual Private Network....

I tried out Mullvad it was for 3 hours free, I think they made a typo in the wording, so I wrote them asking about this...

Abraxass is for Global Security for Law Enforcement and Governments, nothing to do with what we are discussing, so not sure how that came up.

20. nightrace

If the VPN servers you use are always in one country someone only has to serve a court order in that country to get a record of all your VPN activity.

21. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Abraxas was brought up because Anonymizer, Inc. was brought up. Abraxas owns Anonymizer. Why wouldn't it come up?

22. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes I know, my bad, I was just talking more about that site...

Ok guess I'm going to have to ask again since my post is starting to disappear at the top, hehe...

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you just said, LOL and come to an understanding of, what's the point of all of this?

1. As you mentioned Linux, outbound traffic and responses via the VPN, and to block all other traffic. If I'm using OpenVPN and make a connection to the VPN, I thought this is the only outbound traffic and responses, so what else is there and also needing blocking?

2. XP, I don't quite get all this, what's the need? Again I thought if I'm using OpenVPN in XP then that's all that is going on, that I connect to the VPN and it's the only traffic going on.... And then numeric IPs and NIN rules?

3. Win7 again pretty much the same as 1&2 above, what's the need for all this?

So, for myself I have a hardware firewall and software firewall, I run OpenVPN make my connection and I thought all is good? o_O

23. hierophant

@DasFox

OK, here's a basic explanation. Let's say that your computer is part of a wired local area network (ethernet). In Windows, the connection (aka interface, NIC, adapter, etc.) is typically called "Local Area Connection" (hereinafter "LAN"). In Linux, the default is "eth0".

After establishing the VPN connection, it typically shows up as "TAP-Win32 Adapter" (hereinafter "TAP") in Windows, and "tun0" in Linux. However, LAN/eth0 is still there, and is still active. Indeed, it must be, given that TAP/tun0 is a virtual connection that is maintained by encrypted packets that traverse the physical adapter LAN/eth0.

When OpenVPN establishes a VPN connection, it assigns a routing priority that's higher than that of the physical adapter LAN/eth0. As long as TAP/tun0 is working, that's OK. But when things go wrong -- when the VPN goes down, when the user kills OpenVPN, when the computer reboots and restarts some P2P app, or whatever -- all bets are off. You don't want to depend only on routing priority. You want LAN/eth0 to be available for your TAP/tun0 transport traffic, but unavailable for anything else.

24. nix

nix Registered Member

That explains it really well, actually, for me anyway. Thanks.

25. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I know all this already, hehe... :)

But nice explanation for those that don't

Ok so let me say over what it was you missed that I was asking.

1. You said:

In Linux, you can configure the kernel firewall via iptables to permit outbound traffic and responses via the VPN, and to block all other traffic. The link to XeroBank's instructions for doing that has been posted numerous times on Wilders.

I said:

What other outbound traffic and responses are there that need blocking? Block all other traffic?

2. You said:

In Windows XP, the standard firewall only affects inbound connections. You can use netsh to configure TCP/IP for all interfaces except the VPN as static (non-DHCP) routes with no DNS servers. However, I don't believe that would prevent connections to numeric IPs. Better would be to use a good third-party firewall, IMHO, that permits NIN-specific rules.

My response now:

Your talking mainly about making a static ip that has no DNS? Now what's this connection to numeric IPs you are talking about, I don't follow? Third party firewall, permits NIN-specific rules, what's this? And last what is the actual point/accomplishment you are trying to describe here, what is the goal, to not allow DNS and block outbound connections?

Ok hope it's a bit clearer now. :)

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.