AnonPlus, Anonymous's social network, is hacked

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by PJC, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I like to see this kind of healthy one-upping. But I don't like to see them ratting each other out to authorities. They shouldn't give "the man" that satisfaction, regardless of their feelings toward each other. To be clear, I'm not advocating cyber crime, or any type of crime. I just don't like a rat either.

This is a healthier means to exact revenge.

3. mant

mant Registered Member

Exact revenge? To whom?
    Internet... someone can use any names
    Its more likely that attack is made by CIA or MI5 so called Social Engineering :)

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good offence doesn't mean good defence.

5. luciddream

I figured it was done by a rival hactivist group. Apparently they've made some enemies in the anti-sec community because they inconvenienced some "normal people" with some of their work, and you don't do that, you only target "the man", and the establishment.

In the same spirit though they shouldn't be ratting each other out. I'd rather see stuff like this. This way you're not helping feds, honing skills, and giving us spectators some good lulz in the process. Everyone wins :D

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Except the feds, victims, and those associated.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yup. This.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's a game to many people..until they themselves get hit. Then "the man" isn't so bad anymore, and you start hoping for a rat infestation.

9. luciddream

I've always been a big picture kind of guy. The moment we willingly grant "the man" broad discretionary powers to weed out these "cyber terrorists", we all become the victims. At that point these discussions we're having in here about privacy become completely moot, because we'll have none.

In fact, this recent surge of cyber attacks sure could be used to allow certain government entities to expand their power in the name of fighting "terrorism". If one didn't know better, they might even think it was staged (false flag), or at the very least over-exaggerated to justify this means to an end. I doubt it would be the first time it's happened, or the last.

This lesson expands beyond the cyber world, btw.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

But keeping the government in check and looking at these idiots as some sort of entertainment, or cheering them on is two different things. I certainly don't want the government trying to control every aspect of life (getting a bit late for that hope though), but I don't want Anon and cohorts hacking into everything they disagree with and dragging people, who may not have a thing to do with the "issue", into it by posting up their data on Pirate Bay.

Fight the good fight, go for it, but don't do it for the "lulz", and stick to the actual enemy.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They do seem to be extremely successful at what they do. From a security standpoint it seems unbelievable that it is that easy to pull off all of these hacks at will. Are they that skilled or is computer security really that bad? Or neither...o_O

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A little of both, actually. Though most of their attacks are using more simplistic methods, you still have to know how to do them, how to use the tools, and, more importantly, how to CYA. It's the CYA part that is starting to break down for them, which was inevitable. Security is also really that bad. You're talking corporate worlds here, where the bottom line means several times more to companies than security does. Even in the world of government, "locking the doors", so to speak, is often an afterthought.

It's just the way it works these days. Though, if Anon has accomplished anything, it might be that they've embarrassed enough people to perhaps change this. On the flip side, they chose enough high profile targets and screwed with people just a few times too many, to guarantee that they are going to take a big hit themselves. Now they, like the companies they target, are getting sloppy, and the rats are crawling from their holes.

13. luciddream

Yeah, I think I actually agree with most of what you're saying. What they're doing certainly isn't helping to win the war against "Big Brother". In the end it gives "the man" more excuses to look over our shoulder. In fact part of me can't help but think that all of this is orchestrated to help them achieve that means to an end. But that's a conspiracy theory for another time and place... And agreed, they should not do anything that causes harm to the average Joe, like gamers. Gamers are some of the best people I know. Heck, I'm one.

I just wanted to point out that in my viewpoint the real "terrorists" are not who the masses think they are. These hactivists, as misguided as they may be, are not the terrorists. The ones using their actions as an excuse to tighten their grip on people's privacy are the real terrorists.

And I regret saying "lulz for us" now. I kind of just threw that in there to coin them, and show how I think them one upping each other that way is better than ratting on each other to the same establishment they're supposedly trying to fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.