And What About Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wilbertnl, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/95725/95725.html?Ad=1

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

(rant on) If this is true, it is bad news indeed. I like my XP and plan on sticking with it for awhile. I just finally upgraded to 1 gig of ram and I don't want to waste it on an operating system (Vista). I wouldn't shell out money now for Vista because one day too, it will be abandoned. I haven't tried linux, but it is becoming more and more tempting. I prefer something that functions well over something that's pretty. (rant off)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There is no article at that link. When I click where it says "click here to go to the article" nothing happens.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't think XP needs SP3, keep the security patches coming is all it needs.

Doesn't cost anything to give it a try, Linux is as "pretty" as any OS on earth, it can also be made the prettiest of all, once again, for free :)

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

@ FastGame, I'm sorta holdin' out til the new release of ubuntu/kubuntu. I would grab something now, but my isp throttles downloads. I wouldn't want to tick them off. :rolleyes:

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

@ wilbertnl
    Found an article, on a reputable site from a reputable Author that stated MS now plans a new OS release every 3 years (time will tell if it was correct). Sure wish I could find the link again. Go`s hand in hand pretty much with your quote.
    To All. I know every company is in business to make $$$. MS is not and should not be any different. But a fine line must be drawn between profit and customer service. IMO, MS is crossing\has crossed that line, and not to the customers side either. It will come back to bite them.

7. wilbertnl

Somehow it creates the nasty taste that MS has the power to force it's customers to upgrade their hardware every three years.
    That is the part that bothers me the most.
    Extreme example here: If I had to buy a new printer tomorrow, I end up with Vista drivers only, which puts me in a position without freedom.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think that is a bit extreme. If I bought say an HP model that has been out a while, I don't think there will be a problem. Plus I think the printer manufacturers know there will be a ton of XP users out there and won't shut themselves out of that market.

What really is dumb on MS's part is lack of compatibility. I've loaded up Vista in the past few days and actually like it. Only one minor problem, is half of my software won't run. Great.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yeah...well how about me? I'd like to buy a new printer...mine is eight years old but I need the printer to support both XP and 98SE. I could care less about Vista. It appears my router is dying and I've been researching new routers. Very few support 98SE now and many do not support Linux or Vista. Lovely. :( How come an 8 year old printer works on both 98SE and XP but a new one won't work on both? That's backwards. If the vendors want to sell newer versions of their products they need to have really good backwards support otherwise people just stay with the old equipment that supports forward until it no longer works.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Regarding your router, there's no reason why the router should not support Linux as most of them run on Linux ...

As to your printer, you can always use alternative drivers, it works well in quite a few cases. For example, I'm using HP drivers for a Lexmark printer in Linuxes, works like magic.

Mrk

11. ThunderZ

@ Peter2150 and Wilbertnl
    Just one of the reasons my Mother-in-Law had me nuke and pave her brand new Compaq Vista Home Basic with XP. See my post elsewhere in this Forum. She thought because her (only year old) HP printer was from the same manufacturer it was bound to work. :doubt: still trying to explain the difference between hardware and software to her There were also other issues with some programs and games that did not work.
    You know the hardware vendors are\were rubbing there hands with glee in anticipation of higher-end parts sales for "Vista ready" PCs, or for those wanting to upgrade to Vista. Can you imagine the disappointment\anger of the Un-learned rushing out and buying Vista, coming home to install it only to find out it will not run on there year old PC. It is more profitable for the manufacturers to build and sell new as opposed to re-writing for old.

@ Mele20
    Mrkvonic is absolutely correct. Other then the set-up disk that most come with, routers are OS independent. All this means is you may have to manually configure it and your PCs. Not a really big deal or that hard to do. I`m sure several here would be more then willing to assist you when the time comes. My Win 98 knowledge is woefully lacking, has been a long time, and my Linux speak is non-existant, but I could assist on 2k or XP if needed.

12. Peter2150

All this is why I love my favorite(only) pc vendor Velocity Micro. Vista is the default OS on most system, but XP Pro is still available as an upgrade if you want it.

As I said I like Vista, although I don't see any real advantage, mainly eye candy, but when stuff won't run.....

Still just as 98SE is about history, no doubt XP will be at that stage in the future.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Keep in mind Wilders type are only a small subset of the computing world. M$ markets to newbies to sophisticated users like the Wilders bunch. All free market (competitive) companies must concern themselves more with the future, than the past, in order to stay in business. Given the size & dominance of M$, they do a pretty good job (IMHO) plus they keep improving. Well I guess if they don't, keep improving, there dominance will diminish. Often times users cloud, current perception of M$, from past experiences. How about this, so M$ can stay focused on Vista & future OS's, they out-source XP too_Oo_O to release SP3...10.

Take Care
    Rico

14. wilbertnl

15. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Yes very pretty but I bet it munches up CPU and memory like they're sweeties...

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Ahh Good ole SphereXP, pretty nice like Mandotate for 98's ;) Unforunately this last time installed i didn't plug in my NVidia video card this time and depend only on the on-board which is not quite there to support this. Maybe this summer on another machine.........:D

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

According to Microsoft my current router is incompatible with Vista as it fails one of the tests from Microsoft's Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. Very few routers are currently compatible with Vista. Doesn't mean Vista would not run using my current router but there would be things unavailable to me because the router is not compatible. One of the Microsoft team members that developed the tool is working on a white paper that states in part:

"Much of the current market of retail-grade Internet Gateway Devices
    (Hereafter IGD's, aka NAT's, Routers, AP's) has grown and evolved during
    the ascendancy of Windows XP. In this regard, Windows XP has become the
    "Gold Standard" against which IGD's are measured. Changes in the
    networking stack between Windows XP and Windows Vista expose bugs in
    router firmware which were hitherto obscured. Online router testing is
    an easy and lightweight method to allow vendors and consumers to ensure
    their IGD's work within the scope of feature RFC's and are sufficiently
    robust."

RFC's (Request for comment) are the formal standards that define how the
    internet works. Routers which are solidly RFC compliant have no trouble
    with Vista.

A big problem multiplier is also with network adapter drivers, especially
    wireless. There are a million places where a driver can be out - or on
    the edge - of RFC compliance, which can expose or exacerbate a problem in
    a router. "

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...fb6c18490?hide_quotes=no#msg_a45fcec244bb44e4

I don't plan on getting Vista but since I have a Dell and my earlier XP Dell was replaced because of hardware problems for this Dell and now it is one year old and has had the mobo replaced twice (first replacement mobo was DOA along with the RAM sent) and is waiting on other parts...it is entirely possible that during the remaining extended warranty I have on the first Dell that transferred to this one, that Dell might yet again replace the machine and it would be with one that has Vista. So, I don't want to buy a router that is incompatible with Vista.

18. ThunderZ

I knew MS had introduced some new(?) or modified networking protocols with Vista. Was not aware of the extent. From having read on another Forum I was under the impression that the old protocols were still in place and usable. Sorry for giving wrong info. (Side note concerning OEM warranty parts. Chances are 50/50 that the replacement parts you receive are "re-certified" used parts. Used to do in home repairs for a living. Many a Client was not happy :mad: with this. I could not blame them, but I had no control over it.) :oops:

19. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
  20. ThunderZ

Really no big surprise. Most big retailers had pulled XP loaded PCs from their shelves prior to or on the Vista release date. A couple weeks later when the Mother-in-Law purchased her PC from one of them, she requested XP. She was told no XP was no longer available "at all".

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Lamehand:

Right! I've got 2 xp licenses, one I got for my old IBM test PC and the other came with the Dell 4700.

Maybe some day I can sell these on ebay after a switch to Linux! What is the name of the company that backs Linux?:rolleyes:

Kind of odd reading this thread on the same day I got my April update on xp sp2! :rolleyes:

Isn't it unrealistic to expect our xp's to remain forever young and remain compatible with every new piece of software and hardware that comes in the future. No firm will live with doubling their support costs forever.

I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'm not in charge!

22. wilbertnl

When I watch FreeBSD and Linux, then I see how the kernel is updated to provide support for current software. It's possible to run these current operating systems on most (outdated) hardware.

I belief that Windows 2000 could have been updated with some of the XP enhancements, like Cleartype. Other 'enhancements' like the firewall, were available already from third parties.

Microsoft is creating it's market by obsoleting it's products.

23. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I can live with the fact that no OS will live forever, but to 'force' everybody who buys a new PC into using vista (sales aren't to terrific as i understand) is a bit too much for my taste, it could drive even more potential customers away.

And Linux costs nothing, well, sometimes some swet and tears. ;)

Lamehand

24. Peter2150

I actually like the look and feel of vista, but the fact it wouldn't run have of my software was a show stopper.

25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Whaddupppp!!! *puppy* just what cant you run? I'm running 80% of my XP stuff on Vista, such as Ulead DVD Maker/ PowerDVD ACDSee Photo Manager/ NOD32/Spy Sweeper/ Adobe Photo Shop/ Kodak EasyShare Software/ATI Redeon Catalyst Control Center/Windows Vista Manager (for tweaking :cool: )/ Office 2007/Encarta Reference Library 2007/Works 8.5/ All good stuff like that, and theres no problems either :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.