Anchoring side effects

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by MerleOne, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

I have a question about anchoring in the following situation : say I have a folder in "C:\Folder_A\", and I am running an active snapshot #1
    I anchor it (C:\Folder_A\) and create a snapshot #2 with #1 as source.

I then decide to unanchor "A" and to anchor another folder "B" instead, "C:\Folder_B\".

When I update snapshot #2 with #1 as source, are files in "C:\Folder_A\" supposed to be copied in snapshot #2 ? And files from "C:\Folder_B\" removed from snapshot #2 ?

Thanks !

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Hmm. I never was good at logic problems. I believe that the anchoring is program related and not snapshot related. What ever is anchored last will be available to all snapshots. A and/or B depending on your choice.

This is just a guess. I still get stumped on "all bulldogs are dogs, are all dogs bulldogs?"

SourMilk out

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can't say exactly, but more then likely at some point you will lose yourself some data. If you want a definite answer image your drive and experiment. I dropped anchoring early on because of the possiblity of confusing myself and losing stuff.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes it is normal.
    The anchored files/folders are excluded from the creation/restoration/update of the snapshots.

Panagiotis

5. MerleOne

Thanks. I got burned once but still need anchoring. The trick is to be very careful because anchoring causes no loss of data, but unanchoring has some side effects. Next time I can experiment, I will and report here.

6. MerleOne

A implies B is not the same as B implies A, but is logically equivalent as
    (Not B) implies (Not A).
    Or A=>B is equivalent to (Not A or B) [if A is not True, Not A is True, so Not A or B also, and if A is true, then B is also true].

Hope this will clear this up ? Maybe not...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.