Anchoring Problem - Please Advise

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Tried to anchor my Outlook Express data (use that program to help a client), but got a message saying "Anchored File List Too Long".

This is the string I was trying to save:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce & Simone\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{420A8629-219B-49EC-88F6-C4BEA567E84B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I have other files anchored that are actually longer. What is thiso_O and How can I work around this? Screen shot attached...

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Chamlin

Not sure why that is happening, but to be honest with you I don't think it's a good idea to anchor anything in Documents and settings, other than my documents. Probably not worth the space you save.

Pete

3. Chamlin

Thanks for the reply Peter. I agree in general, but if I don't anchor the email folder, and I boot back to an earlier snapshot, it seems that:
    A. I would lose all the newer mail;
    B. I would then have to go to my Acronis Image or online backup and restore.

And option B. is an additional pain in the rear end.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Bruce

4. Peter2150

Okay. Just have to plan a bit. Say you are doing a new install and want to protect yourself. Copy/update from your primary to secondary. Now everything is updated. Do install in primary, and test it. If good fine, if not immediately go to secondary, and refresh the primary.

Yes what this does is force you to make a decision, before doing anything else with your email. But as a rule, anchoring Documents and settings stuff can lead to trouble as it is used by the system and programs, and stuff is hidden there.

5. Chamlin

I get the "it's bad to anchor the docs/settings stuff" and agree...But, if I can't tell for a while if the software works well, or if I'm trying to fix my BSOD problem by uninstalling comodo 2.4, installing v3...I might not know for a few days if it will work right. So there's all that email data not anchored which will drive me to have to do other time consuming tasks to make the email right again. That's my concern...

Thanks,
    Chamlin

6. Peter2150

Does your email program have a backup. I do a backup with outlook into the mydoc's area, and that you could anchor. Protects you just incase.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.