An idea for sygate firewall users

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Yoda1953, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. despuesvengo

despuesvengo Registered Member

thanks MrKvonic

so allow all and that's it? I've been reading and reading and everyone set rules allow tcp udp in out ports I get crazy with it LOL

so I can allow full access to everything and Sygate will do the job? no matter what soft?

:blink:

2. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

IMO Act as a server should only be used for p2p. Browsers, email-readers and most other progs who want internet access for updating and like should not act as a server.

But I don't know exactly which other progs should act as a server. Online games, some do. Have to find out by experience.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. Yoda1953

Hips rules are not the same as firewall rules. I was talking about firewall rules.

Eqsecure, hum, tried it but clicking 3 times for each new application after the learning period irritates me. Sorry.

No OA hips is much easier to use and scores good on all kinds of nasty tests like regtest, sss, and the like.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMs, Skype, FTP servers.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

That server thingie is overrated. Apps that do not need to act as servers - will not. And even if you let them, they won't know what to do.

What programs need to be servers? Those that require incoming connection without initiating one - p2p, messengers, games etc.

despusesvengo, yes, that's it. I didn't even bother to check the application properties when I ticked yes (and remember) for emule, for example. Fire it up, allow and remember and it will work great with ed2k and kad servers, tcp and udp. Same for utorrent and all others.

If you have a router, you'll need to forward these ports, though.

Mrk

6. despuesvengo

thanks MrKvonic!!

and yes, in fact the time I had Sygate installed before, out of the box, I never ever had any problems whatsoever, no attacks, no nothing...(maybe I am lucky?)

it really ran smooth in my pc. Now a final question, I have sygate version 5.6.2808, 5.5.2710 and sygate pro 5.6.3408.....is there a better one to install for windows xp sp2?

thanks again:thumb:

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I am currently using 5.6.2808 and am very happy with it. Used 5.5 before. While most people claim 5.5 to be more stable for them, I find 5.6 an improvement. I do not run 5.6.3408 in my production environment, as it was not a formal release.

Now, a better one for xp - better one among Sygates or better one at all? The first, see my answer above, the second - this is subjective, but I think no.

Still, Kerio 2.1.5 is also supposed to be uber light and p2p friendly. L'n'S as well. But I can't vouch for these. As to more modern firewalls, there are some good choices, like ZA, Comodo, OA, but I haven't used these extensively in a p2p/gaming environment, so I can't say if they buckle under 500 connections simultaneously.

Mrk

8. despuesvengo

thank you again MrKvonic :thumb:

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I used it a few years back, and even since then once in a while, it always used about 2-3% cpu just idling. So no, you're not alone. I guess it varies from one person to another though.... I liked Sygate, it was one of my favorites for a long time, my first firewall actually...

10. Yoda1953

Hi,

So you don't have to do anything about Firefox and like acting as a server?

In the sygate forum (when it still existed) they recommended Firefox not to act as a server. I cannot remember why...:doubt:

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Generally, you should not let any non-needed app act as server. But let's assume the worst. Let's assume you allow. And you get an incoming packet of some sort on port 1055 (cause that's the port FF seems to use during this session). OK, and ...? What is FF going to do exactly with that packet?

BTW, if you check the FF port on GRC, you'll see it's stealthed, even with server thingie ticked on.

Mrk

12. Yoda1953

Ok thanks

13. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

As far as I know, firefox opens a port on loopback only, so it is impossible to communicate with that port from somewhere else than your computer. This is why it appears as stealth in any test like GRC.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have been using version 5.6.3408 since last year and have never had any issues with the firewall. In fact, I have gotten a couple of port scanning warning messages which I blocked immediately. On one of them, it looks like Macys.com was trying to get my IP address. Yet another attempt by retailers to determine who their online customers are. :mad: :thumbd:

15. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

I think there is actually no firewall that can avoid sending your IP to a certain webpage, if you are actually opening exactly that page in your browser. So no need for a firewall here.

16. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

He was talking about a portscan, not about browsing.

@ccsito: In order to port scan you, the other party already knew your IP address.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That is correct. The prober, in essence, found your home address and was trying to look inside your home. :mad:

18. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

They can be scanning random IPs if they have enough bandwitch

19. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

Macys ?!? o_O

I think you guys are really quite paranoid. :isay:

20. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

21. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Just switched from LnS to sygate after finding LnS rules creation too difficult. Works great alongside EqSecure :)

22. Yoda1953

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.