AMD to give free AVG subscriptions with boxed processors

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This is quite an interesting deal especially for AVG and Intel, because Intel Capital is one of the shareholders for AVG.....:D

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...ive_Free_Antivirus_with_Boxed_Processors.html

(Sorry, I was not sure whether this thread belonged in the hardware forum or the AV forum....)

2. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thats good ...

so now users would get AVG and also Mcafee which comes with Dell :D

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

It's not that surprising. Intel Capital is an investment fund. Their aim is to make money from liquid assets. If they think AVG can do that for them, why not?

It's a 6 month license. It ups the ante on the 90-day trials from other vendors on some m/board CDs and with laptops.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Business things aside, I do think this is a very good move by AMD, since it helps more PC users "get started" with a decent antivirus solution. Also, it's probably good for AVG since AMD is a very well known brand name.....(relatively)

Wouldn't competitive factors come into play here (unless Intel's got something up it's sleeve too)?

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I am a bit confused. Isn't Intel and AMD two different companies (competitors)?
    I read sometime back that Intel plans to put the McAfee AV on a chip. So if the Dell comes with McAfee on a chip and AVG preloaded on the system, would they not clash? Only one can be realtime, right ... or are these 2 AVs compatible?

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Woah, CPU with antivirus?
    Hahahaha now CPU's are getting bloated! . . . J/k :D

7. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

According to Intel, their proposed on-chip AV is ""radically different"". I strongly suspect that they're not wasting their time on something that isn't fully transparent and/or compatible with any software security app. Some kind of virtual CPU-in-CPU with delayed/controlled real access would do the trick. (There I go thinking out loud again. :eek: )

BTW, AVG will be on a CD packed with the CPU, not preloaded with your OS.

8. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Lets hope this day never comes. If it does then expect false positives on the chip, the worst possible detection on the chip and everything else that McAfee is known for.

What in the world was Intel thinking when they acquired McAfee.:doubt:

9. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

$$$... Business as usual...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.