Am I using ERAS in ways that was not intended?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Geosoft, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

I'm currently have an open support ticket opened for investigation, but it seems like I cannot create a child policy, whose parent is the "Server Policy" on a lower server. I would always get the error message "Error downloading policy configuration. Policy tree will be refreshed from server..."

The tree would look like this to the upper servers view:

Default Parent Policy -> Company Global Policy (Server 1) -> Server Policy (Server 2) -> Server Centric Policy (Server 2).

If I take Server Centric Policy (Server 2) and not assign it a parent on the lower server, it'll allow me to edit the configuration and make changes. If I place that policy back and make it the child of Server Policy (Server 2) the configuration does not take effect on the clients, nor can I edit the policy.

The funny thing is, if I did this tree:

Default Parent Policy -> Company Global Policy (Server 1) -> Server Policy (Server 1) -> Server Centric Policy (Server 1)

This is allowed. I can make changes to the configuration and the configuration takes effect.

This is in light of something I tried doing last year where I had took advantage of the Primary and Secondary Remote Adminstration where I had Server 2 as the Primary Server and Server 1 as the secondary server. The clients couldn't reach Server 2, but could reach Server 1, the ERAS server would have the client show up twice in the client list with different primary servers (which is incorrect.) But that's a different discussion I need to take up with ESET.

2. Geosoft

Actually, looks like policy management might be broken altogether.

I tried to click view at the Server Policy on Server 2, and I get the error message "Error downloading policy configuration. Policy tree will be refreshed from server...

Running 4.0.138.

3. Geosoft

Found out that the policy files on the server is corrupt and that it needs to be deleted.

I found this out by reinstalling one of the ERA servers. I'm attempting to get a cleaner solution from ESET support.

4. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

In RA, Press CTRL+SHIFT+O to open server options (alternatively Tools > Server options), then click the logging tab. Change the verbosity to Level 5 and click OK. Try opening the policy manager again (CTRL+SHIFT+P) and undo the steps you just made. Open era.log located in C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\eset\eset remote administrator\server\logs (or for server 2008, C:\program data\eset\eset remote administrator\server\logs) and see if there are any entries toward the bottom referring to policy manager.

You could always attempt a repair install, or uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks,

Matt

5. Geosoft

It was a twofold operation where I had to delete the policies from the database and also delete the policies in the storage directory. Once I did that, I was able to create/edit policies no problem.

Apparently this was an issue because of upgrading from version 3 to version 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.