Alternative to Secunia PSI

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AMD, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Hi,

I have had this program running for a couple of weeks (version 3) to update/patch programs but I wanted to find out if there are any similar alternatives.

I know that quite a few prefer version 2 and there is a version 3 program update due at the end of this month but I dont really like it and would prefer to try out something different for a while at least.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Andy
  2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Sumo is an alternative.
  3. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

+1 :thumb:
    on going thread HERE
  4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Yes, SUMO is an alternative but IMHO whilst it detects changes in software versions and covers a large number of apps it is not as good as PSI when it comes to actually updating the software.

PSI integrates better in terms of allowing you to carry out the update from within the app (some would say that v3.0 is too good at that for their liking ;) ). When you try to do the same thing from within SUMO it all falls apart a bit as you have to manually go to web sites & download installers etc. rather than just in most cases clicking on an Install button in PSI.

Just my halfpenny's worth...and if I am wrong about SUMO then someone kindly put me right on that. :D
  5. TyRizian

TyRizian Registered Member

The only other alternative that supports a large array of software (That I can think of), would be UpdateStar. The only drawback about UpdateStar is, is that the free version does a scan only operation. You would have to purchase a yearly license to do a scan and download. I'm not sure if you want to do that or not.

At least Secunia PSI does both, but at no cost to you.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

If you try Secunia PSI, I suggest you consider Version 2.0 rather than Version 3, which is the latest. If you visit their forums, you will find many people prefer staying with Version 2.0 because it provides more user control, which some of us prefer, since we feel like we want to be "in control" - lol! If you want to let the program do the updating, etc, then Version 3 works well.
  7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

why change from secunia.?it does a good job so why tinker with other tools?
    Strange.
    Regards.:isay:
  8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

secunia has the smallest data base off of all. but all tools need careful use - not alltime the correct language is chosen for an update.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  9. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I like filehippo update checker much better.
    simple and easy to use
  10. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Webroot Security Analyzer, it's a new software, maybe you should give it a spin. Link here.
  11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There's also Ketarin. But, you'll need to create your own database. There are shared templates, though. It's an open source project.

There are other similar apps to Ketarin.
  12. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Where to find the old Secunia PSI, version 2 ?

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Attached Files:

• psi.png
      psi.png
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
  14. AMD

AMD Registered Member

As far as I recall, Secunia are due to release an improved version 3 sometime soon to allow more funtionality control.
  15. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I'm looking the version 2 to try, not version 3 ;)
  16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Registered Member

17. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Bullguard as Secunia built in. I just click that, then click update, and then it's done. No hassles.
  18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Need to remember to download the "lite"version of sumo as the other downloads are sponsored,:)
  19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Or the portable, I love that program.

@Bodhitree: Isn't that just the updater for BullGuard only?
  20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I use PSI 2 and see no reason to leave it.
  21. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

FilleHippo Update Checker :thumb:
  22. jo3269

jo3269 Registered Member

Within the past week I downloaded a program called Outdatefighter that seems to do a nice job of identifying installed software that has available updates. Clicking on Download will directly download the updated version to your computer. Once done, the red Download button will turn to a green Install button. Clicking on Install will commence the installation. If you wish, you can also Ignore updates for a particular software if you wish.
  23. cmexx

cmexx Lurker

outdatefighter from spamfighter! how do u like it?
  24. jo3269

jo3269 Registered Member

Outdatefighter seems to work well.
  25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just tried Outdatefighter. It tells me I have one update, but doesn't list it. Oh hum.

outdatefighter_missing.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.