Alpha Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DoeZ0763, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

Hello...

I believe I got a virus while I was on FB...a window started popping up telling me I needed more security...it had a orangish color shield and it did look real...but I did not click on it...I had a hard time just trying to get out of it. I ran malwarebytes and it found 23 infections...I did not run this in safe mode...I removed all and saved the log. How do I know if there are any left on any files?

Also...How many firewalls should you have and whats the best one? I had the windows firewall but obviously something got thru. I also downloaded COMODO firewall...is it ok for both to be running at the same time?

I also want to know whats the best spyware to have always running in the background without slowing down the computer? I have malwarebytes right now and don't believe it runs in the background so I want more protection.

Just looking for all the protection I can get without slowing down my computer. Thanks for any help;)

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you ask me i will tell you with confidense that malwarebytes is a champ;)

3. DoeZ0763

Ok...but again...I want something running to stop this from happening again. So whats the best one to keep running and not slow me down?

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes malwarebytes pro ofcourse you have to buy the pro version that protects in real time againts trojans,spywares and alot more;) it also has a ip protection sort of firewall like protection that blocks infected/malicius websites:thumb: you can run a free antivirus with malwarebytes pro and you have a solid brick wall plus you can add a firewall,i personally use DefenseWall as my only firewall.

note:defensewall firewall is at the beta stage but will be realease very soon:thumb:

5. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

one.......
    OA/Outpost/Pctools/Comodo...btw "best" is a subjective notion

also....what av are you using ?

6. DoeZ0763

I'm using AVG as my anti virus...I just downloaded COMONDO...its running but I didn't anything with the windows firewall...should I? I also run the following...Malwarebytes...ccleaner...atf cleaner...advanced sytemcare...smart defrag...IOBit security 360...(this runs all the time) What else should I be running...I am faithful at cleaning my computer once a week thoroughly...but I don't want to slow down my system. Thanks for all the help;)

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

COMONDO ?
    I presume you mean Comodo ? I would recommend to stay away from that, for various reasons.

You need only one software firewall. You can use a router or perhaps modem as a hardware firewall. Hardware firewall+software firewall= better security.

AVG ? No offense, but I consider that a 'placebo AV'.
    Check out av-comparatives, a reliable source for selecting an AV. Of course, you should use a trial to see how it works ON YOUR SYSTEM.
    One good AV, or perhaps even better, a suite, is all you need for real-time protection.

I wouldn't recommend using registry cleaners, they usually cause more problems than they solve.

I think malwarebytes is overrated, especialy the pro version. From what I gather, the real-time protection of MBAM isn't good.

You don't need a lot of software for real-time protection. More does not equal better.

These days, the better AVs/suites are effective against spyware. You don't need an additional real-time antispyware application.

Btw, I use the Avira security suite, to my satisfaction. I don't need additional security software.

One thing I recommend is this: use imaging software plus an external harddisk to create images, so you'll always have a KNOWN clean image.
    Once you're infected, you can usually not be sure that all malware has been removed. If you don't know what imaging software is, I suggest you do some reading. It may cost you some money, but you'll love it when you're infected.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

How many firewalls should you use? 1
    You have many free choices available. That comes down to your preference.

For an antivirus you have many free choices there too. Avast would be my choice.

There's nothing wrong with using a decent registry cleaner.
    It's a good idea to use Erunt to back up your registry before using a registry cleaner.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

9. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Comodo firewall is great as are some other free firewalls, and MBAM is also a good choice if you want realtime buy the pro version. Or Super AntiSpyware and Iobit Security 360 are other alternatives. If you cant make up your mind, this might help some it seems like it would do great for less experienced users. Its a security advice wizard at Gizmos try it out and it gives you suggestions based on some questions you answer. http://www.techsupportalert.com/secwiz

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you have time and a bit of interest, I suggest to have a look at this excellent thread by BlueZannetti, as in your post there are too many issues that can't be addressed with a short answer.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.