Almost had a horrendous experience. What could have happened.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have 34 usernames and passwords stored in my KeyPass file. Financials, shopping, email accounts, miscellaneous like Skype, TeamViewer, etc. and have used it (still v1.22) for years across three PCs. I try to open it this evening and I keep getting this: "0x0000000D Invalid File Signature The file's signature is invalid. This means that the file is corrupted and/or not a file that KeePass can read." I go back several days of images but the same thing keeps occurring. I keep an updated copy on MS's One (Sky) Drive and downloaded it, then replaced my corrupted copy with the OD copy and all is well!
    Can anyone theorize what may have caused this? Thank you!

2. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello ratchet:

To be as clear as possible, is it the KeePass executable file itself that would not launch, or was it KeePass.exe that could not open Database.kbd?

Was the failure happening on all three PCs, such might be the case when you have KeePass.exe installed to and launched from a common network device?

Since your KeePass version is almost two years old and four revisions behind, is a logical reason keeping you from updating?

3. ratchet

Thank you for reply! KP that could not open Database. I was only working with it on this PC. I have not updated because it "just worked!"
    I'm wondering if updating/uploading it to OneDrive may have been the problem as I updated at least twice this week.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Glad you're sorted. I empathize today couldn't access my email, but all is well now. But worried for about 10 minutes.

5. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Again, to be crystal clear - did you restore, from OneDrive, the Database.kbd file, KeePass.exe file, both, or the whole KeePass Password Safe folder?

You seem to imply that the Database.kbd file is not shared or sync'd by the other two PCs. Is that correct?

While the "just worked" position might be infrequently valid for some, undocumented fixes may have taken place that involved an obscure condition, such as yours.

Generically speaking, applications not updated can be, and have been, the target of rogue software.

Your OP asked "what may have caused this?" The storage device that contains the Database.kbd file may have started to fail. A periodic S.M.A.R.T. check and passive "CHKDSK volume:" is always wise.

I applaud your wisdom to employ a backup solution. :thumb:

HTH :)

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I had the same error message a while ago, after installing keepass on Vista.
    I could not fix it, but it was not a big issue because I had another PC where it still worked.

7. ratchet

I have a file in my documents folder that identifies "itself" as "Database.kdb." When I attempt to open that file it brings up the KeyPass login GUI, which after entering my master password opens KeyPass v1.22 and/or the .kdb database I presume.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i recommend saving your passwords with 2 different programs so this does not happen again.

the other program could be Truecrypt or anything else that encrypt.

9. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

In the GUI of that version of KeePass, if you pull down the Tools menu, does "Repair KeePass Database File..." exist?

When the Database.kdb file's integrity is acceptable, the above menu item may be grayed out, but still present.

1) If the trouble re-occurs, you might consider the "Repair" action possibility offered above.

2) I imagine you have updated or upgraded to another version by now.

3) If you're doing regular back-ups, I believe you're well served there.

4) You should habitually make an integrity check (mentioned earlier) of your system's storage device(s) (HDD ?) a priority.

5) Keep your system's Windows software up-to-date.

6) You are probably being well served at: -http://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329221/thread/c8e58c98/?limit=50#8a63-

Cheers :)

10. ratchet

Thank you, great idea!

11. ratchet

Thank you again!

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I recommend keeping some older backups/images for situations such as this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.