all things UNIX

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Longboard, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thanks for this.
    Hope it goes from strength to strength.
    :thumb: :thumb:

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Yep, what longboard said. Just noticed the new unix forum yesterday.

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Absolutely great idea!

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Many thanks, this means a lot for Linux users. Wilders putting up a forum for Unix is an acknowledgement that Linux is finally here and to stay.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This will be a most blatant flattery, but it's not without a reason that Wilders is the finest (security) forum online. Not only does it offer excellent content, it changes with times, staying modern and sharp. UNIX forum is just one example. The same happened with the hardware forum...

I'm very pleased with both the fact Linux had become a valuable topic for discussion and that Wilders community is part of this fabulous journey.

Flattery mode out.

Cheers,
    Mrk

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Very nice Wilder's. It was here that I first learned that linux was a viable desktop option, and it was the trust I had in the members that convinced me to install a distro.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Same here!
    I'm glad we have this corner. I ended up with a different OS, when came for something else.
    I don't get BSOD's, hang-ups, etc. All is not perfect, but bugs are fixed! Everything is in the clear.
    My computer is stable and does not require constant reboot.

Thank you! :D

9. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Excellent move! Brilliant!!

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I will add my 2 cents as well and say it's a great move. Linux is becoming more and more popular and this is a much welcome addition to the Wilders forums. Great to see it.... :thumb:

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's good but i bet no one talks about linux security, no one seems to care about it!

i can't talk though. the distro i'm using now isn't even supported anymore :D i've got to get my external hdd working to back stuff up before i upgrade.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

That's the main reason why I'm very cautious against new nice-looking distros. I prefer a distro with a large development team and a large community. For me switching to Linux is a long-term investment. I don't want to change my distro every six months or so although it may be fun to try out new ones.

@Longboard: :thumb:

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm using suse 10.2, i've used it every day since it was released, the end of 2006 - 2 years. support ended a week or so a go.

i can't decide which distro to switch to, i really liked the look of the xfce version of saboyon i had on a livecd, but it's based on gentoo, i think, and gentoo has lost a lot of it's developers and has gone downhill. i don't know how much that affects saboyon o_O

14. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Great idea, thanks.

15. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Not only has Wilders open up a "Unix" forum but has also gathered up everything Unix that were posted previously here at Wilders, an ingenious way start a new forum!!! In actuality it is a "ready for prime time" forum with plenty to enjoy.

There are already many tutorials and opinions that will surly make many
    Windows users try out "Unix" in one or more of its incarnations.

This will hopefully increase the number of "Unix" users and cause competition to improve both Windows and "Unix"-type operating systems (the Live CD distros are absolutely addicting and a logical place for newbies to start out with).

This new forum is a thumbs up all the way. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.