Alignment Tool nuked my Win7 install

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by htd, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htd

htd Registered Member

Every time I was running this it would 'complete' but still show the drive as 'not aligned'. So I tried to run checkdisk then rerun the alignment tool... well that completely hosed my drive and now I can no longer boot from it. I had to reboot with my 'old' drive since it wasn't showing up as a valid boot disk. In Disk Management it now shows as "unallocated space".

This is unbelievable. I bought this tool so it would save me the time of doing an fresh Windows install on the SSD... this is after buying Arconis True Image which was supposed to do the drive alignment.

So after 2 hours of trying to get this to work I am now stuck with a destroyed Win7 install...

I submitted a support request... but nothing back yet. if anyone can offer some advice I am all ears. I really wanted to keep my current install intact.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you try Undelete Partition wizard from the Recovery CD for PAT?

3. htd

htd Registered Member

Thank you for the response. Sorry if my initial post was terse, I am just frustrated by what I assumed would be relatively painless.

No, I did not try to undelete. After I saw it come up as unallocated space I went ahead and reformatted the disk. I figure when I get home from work I will just do a fresh clone using True Image and try again.

Any suggestions for making it go smoother this time? Seems like the issue I had was not unique but I cannot seem to find a guide to make it work properly.

4. Mech_An

PAT is very sensitive to file system health.

Please run CHKDSK /F for all partition before running the alignment:
    * open Start -Run and type CMD
    right-click found cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator
    * in the Command prompt type:
    chkdsk c: /f
    press Enter
    * This operation require restart. Schedule it to run before next system start and restart your PC.

I suppose that you previous issue is related to the error which appears during the operation but was missed.

5. htd

htd Registered Member

Thanks dude! This time around I did everything while booted into Windows. But first as you suggested I ran chkdsk on the SSD (drive f in this case) and it actually came back with a couple things (don't recall offhand, but no bad sectors). Ran the alignment tool and this time and it worked! Thanks for your help!

(Would be great if this recommendation was on the first screen of notes when launching the tool)

Now for some SSD goodness.

Cheers,

- Dave

6. Mech_An

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.