AGV Antispyware install freezes half-way through

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by trickyricky, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I can't install AVGAS on my PC. When I try, the progress bar goes to roughly half-way along, then sits there forever. The text status says:

Registering: C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\context.dll

and there it stays. There is no Stop, Cancel or Abort button available, so I have to kill off the install with Task Manager.

Any ideas what is causing this to happen and any ideas how to get around it please?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. Bronx Bunny

Bronx Bunny Registered Member

have exactly the same problem and posted it on the sticky thread

can anyone help?

3. trickyricky

It doesn't look like anyone has a clue about this one. It's very strange because Ewido 4 installs without any problems, so something AVG has done to it has broken the install routine. However, if nobody here can offer any explanation or help, I wonder where we can go to try and resolve this issue?

[edit] I see from the othert thread that your problem was resolved by rebooting Windows. I have tried that several times and I am still unable to get past that point in the install routine. I have also managed to install and remove Ewido a few times, all without any problem. Frustrating.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  4. beynac

beynac Registered Member

After two unsuccessful attempts, I disconnected from the internet, turned off all other programs (including firewall and anti-virus) and the installation went through with no bother.

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Do you have Google Desktop installed?

6. trickyricky

No, no desktop search or indexing installed on this PC.

Currently running in the system tray are:

Sunbelt Kerio personal firewall
    Dimension 4 (time sync)
    NOD32
    Speedfan
    E-Prompter
    Mozy auto-backup
    K9 anti-spam
    Logmein (deactivated)

7. beynac

beynac Registered Member

I use NOD32 and Sunbelt-Kerio as well. Could one of these have caused our problem?

8. trickyricky

Possibly, although I did terminate AMON when trying to install AVGAS without any success.

9. trickyricky

Weird - following up my last posting, I terminated Sunbelt Kerio firewall and then I was able to install AVGAS at last. So it was that which was causing the problem. Although why that should be is beyond me, since a firewall should have nothing to do with the install. I even checked yesterday to make sure that AVGAS was allowed to talk to the internet by the firewall, in case that was causing a problem.

If anyone wants me to run any other tests, I'm happy to do so, as this is very likely to crop up again in the field, as it were.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not very familar with Kerio....but does it not have "Behavior blocking" and could that have caused a kink in the install procedure :doubt:

11. trickyricky

Yes, it does have behaviour blocking available, but I don't have that module enabled. Plus, I'd never use anything that blocked processes without telling me what was happening - that's something I learned a long time ago... ;)

12. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I have experienced this problem on three computers. While attempting to install the paid version on my computer and the free version on my wife's computer and the free version on a client's computer. I have Nod32, Kerio free firewall, and Superantispyware running on my computer. My wife's computer is running CA antivirus, Kerio free firewall, and Superantispyware. The client's computer was running Mcaffee Security suite.
    I was able to install on my computer and my wife's computer by shutting down the AV and the firewall. I was not able to install it on the client's computer. As trickyricky stated:

13. pcuser

pcuser Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. But I managed to install AVG-AS by booting into safe mode.

14. Swift Deity

Swift Deity Registered Member

I had this same exact problem. There is one thing we all have in common, we are using the Kerio Firewall. You need to completely turn off the firewall by telling it to exit. After that install AVG Antispyware and start Kerio again.

15. jayt

jayt Registered Member

That is not entirely true. One computer that I tried to install AVG Antispyware on had the Mcaffee Security Center installed. Even after shutting it down I could not install.

16. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

This installation problem with the context.dll will be fixed with the next fixed version of the setup program that will be released soon.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

17. trickyricky

Thanks for the heads-up. It was no problem once I'd found out the workaround. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.