Agnitum’s New Year Gift Lifetime License

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep,

I am mean, I confess, next year I pre/in(make your choice)tend to be an angel.

Happy new year to you all

Cheers

Kees

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Re: Agnitum’s New Year Gift Lifetime License

Ok, impressions from using the firewall.

The good:

- The last line here: :D
    http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/684/96623212le6.png

- Under normal circumstances (no p2p), it runs quite light.
    - It has antispyware.
    - It has web content filtering (i like the ad block).
    - Very good Hips component. (no pending files too!)
    - Very good logging capabilities.

The bad:

- Under p2p, on my AMD 3800x2 it becomes too CPU hungry. Usually CPU is 1-2, but with higher spikes (6%) that raise the total CPU time to unusually high levels (for my taste... i am spoiled by Comodo):

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6025/18830842kv8.png

This happens even after i chose not to log anything from Emule rules. Ironically, Emule itself, eats less CPU time than Outpost! :eek:

- To allow fragmented packets (Emule generates some and works better if you allow them), you must go the application folder and manually edit the machine.ini file!

- It appears that no matter if you choose to manually update the firewall, it will connect to Agnitum to download "Agnitum news". This is unacceptable behaviour for my taste for a security application (Reminds me of the "ZA phones home" issue). To stop this, one must block network access to acs.exe. But in that case, you can't manually update either. (You have to re-edit the rule and allow temporarily). Because acs.exe is used to update also the firewall and the antispyware signatures.

- The Antispyware didn't impress me at all, 4 false positives was the result of the full scan.

- By default, after installation, i had NetBios enabled. This for newbies is dangerous. Also some other rule presets had too much "liberty" given to processes. (For example i see no reason to have windows explorer with default network rules).

- The rule creation isn't as straightforward as it could be. (I think Comodo's is better).

- Always in the Emule handling, some weird log entries are shown, like:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1065/43424666wo2.png

I have no idea 1) Why the packets couldn't be processed and 2) why these entries exist, since i have a router (with spi firewall) and the local port shown is not the one i have for Emule. So, either my router is letting pass inbount TCP packets towards a port that isn't my Emule port and thus my router is defective, or Outpost is logging imaginary packets or misreading the local port. With the router, inbound TCP to those ports, shouldn't exist in the first place and with other firewalls, they don't exist. So i must presume that something is wrong with Outpost.

* My conclusion (maybe a bit too late someone will say to me, but the good thing is that you can install it to 3 PCs and it's still lifetime!):

Very nice firewall, i would definitely run it most of the time, if 1) I had more powerful CPU (in the next 6 months i will upgrade, so i won't mind it too much i guess), 2) If Comodo wasn't free.

As far as i am concerned, this, for my standards isn't quite so:

"Performance-driven operation
    No matter what you do on an Outpost-protected computer, it will always feel like it’s brand new because the program uses so few system resources. The key engine has been optimized to deliver revolutionary speed efficiency, so you can focus on using your computer productively, not worrying about security issues."

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/index.php

I 'd say, not quite. If you do p2p, there are other firewalls out there that are much, much less CPU and RAM (although i don't care about ram much) hungry. (Read Comodo, PC Tools firewall, Ashampoo, Rising, even ZA is slightly less CPU hungry with p2p).

So, ironic as it may be, back to Comodo for me...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Happy new Year to ALL:

I am currently using it, and quite content with its performance, after hopping from one to the other in the last a while.

For a lifetime subscription with a small price. What a steal !!

I have a strong feeling that this sort of offering will become a daily occurrence in coming year (perhaps years). We just have to watch our purse; do not get too much INVOLVED---just get what your need, not what you want. :-*

4. Fuzzfas

Because of the economic crisis i presume? Well, that would be good news for Wilders' members!

Ah, now that's the problem! Easy to say, difficult to do! Specially when you come to deals "For a lifetime subscription with a small price. What a steal !!"

I 'm a security software junkie! I need help! I really don't *need* to buy anything, there are so many freebies out there, but in the past year i couldn't stop myself. :ouch: And what if you 're right and lifetime licenses start pouring like rain! Then, how will i be able to say no!? :ninja:

Happy New Year, and, in case you decide to open a clinic for Wilders' addicts, let me know.

P.S. : To all security companies representatives reading this topic: Please don't come out with lifetime licenses. Have mercy on our wallets! :oops:

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

fuzzfas,
    You need to go to software junkies anonymous.
    Work the program. You can beat this.
    Hugger

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Addict ? No, No, I would say "AFICIONADO". I was, in one time.

To cure it (only if it become a real problem), just let you spouse keeping all your credit cards, seeking her(his) nodding prior to any purchase online.

Please do not awake those giants(huge software corporates), otherwise, they will and certainly rain us with many (more than we normally need) lifetime goodies and at the same time providing a toll free telephone number or even opening a "stop for a chat" depot in your neighborhood. :-*

Will be a very interesting year to watch these things to go by !

7. Fuzzfas

Aficionado! Yes, nice, it sounds a lot better! :argh:

In deed, all this tragedy started since i got a prepaid card last year. Initially it was to pay books in online bookstores (they 're cheaper and i am on a student's budget). And then i started buying software with it too. :ninja: At the beginning it was Twister (lifetime). Then Winpatrol (lifetime). Then Defensewall. Then First Defense PC Rescue. And now Outpost. This is way too much for 1 year for me. I don't need all this with all the freebies/ GAOTDs out there! I guess i am a jun...errr... aficionado, considering that before having the card, i could only pay in cash , so i had only bought 3 avs in shops in many years and nothing else.

OMG, if they are awaken, i think i will need to introduce a pair of scissors to my Visa. :ninja: If not, how can one resist lifetime licenses? Only online activation can repell me from such offers. (Twister and Winpatrol were the last exceptions i made to that rule).

8. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I beat ya! Twister is the 1st antivirus I bought! I used to own trial versions and free ones, but who can resist this: Lifetime FTW :D

9. Fuzzfas

So, i am not alone! :argh: Yes! Who can resist "lifetime", in deed! :argh: (I added Shadow Defender to the list for that). :thumb:

And you 're a Twistee too!

10. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I'm proud of being a Twistee! :argh:

but...oh noes...you are a Shadee already :eek: *must be as well* :argh:

11. Fuzzfas

Me too! It's so light and simple (and lifetime :D ). Besides, i love the underdogs!

Being a shadee is also good! It's lifetime too! :D

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ahh Fuzzfas,

What the heck, my unused lisences are only
    - A2 Malware (will not be renewed, I bought it for my Mom, but initial FP's spoiled it)
    - Life time lisence GeSWall (good for playing maybe Vista64 in Q2 this year)

Used lisences
    - Malware Defender LIfe time (used by me)
    - DefenseWall (valid until 2011 used by my Mom)
    - PRSC Vista64 (will not be renewed, still 200 days or so applicable)

Although I promised myself not to buy security software anymore since januari 2006, I gradually will run clean.

Cheers

13. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

I myself own a Defensewall lifetime licence.I once promised I would purchase other licences for friends ans family. Time has come I suppose.... This is the only secutity tool on my comp... For life! Ilya desserves definitely a FEED back.

Edit:
    Kees, why don't you give GeSWall to your Mom, so that she doesn't have to worry for good! It's a nice gift for new year.

14. Fuzzfas

Ah, that's a good "mom" license. It's a shame for the FP. You should see Twister's FPs. :D Your mom would go crazy. :D

Lifetime is good! But personally i am not sure i would want such a license. Still, having it can't hurt.

Ah, now that's a very useful lifetime license. Always good having a classical hips license. It can help in many setups as standalone. Although i don't like the gui in MD. I would prefer Comodo (but it's not standalone). And i also got the free license from SSM's "memorial" day (May the software God rest its soul and bless Vitaly).

Ah, a long validity one! :thumb: This is good. I feel 1 year licenses are too restrictive for me, since i change security setup all the time and i end up using each product too little time. When you have lifetime licenses or long validity ones, you can change security setups all the time, without thinking "boy, i am eating up the time of my 1 year license without using it, i threw money away".

I must promise myself too... Between regular licenses and various GAOTDs i now have:

* Lifetime:
    - AV (Twister)
    - Firewall (Outpost)
    - Virtualization (Shadow Defender)
    - WinPatrol Plus
    - Recovery (First Defense PC Rescue)
    - Classical HIPS (SSM)

The next on the list (and final i hope), will be Sandboxie.

* 1 Year:
    - Defensewall
    - Returnil Premium (GOATD)

And then of course there are the freebies.

This should make me stop buying for quite a while. Of course, there are *some* softwares that if they were to come up with lifetime license, i doubt i could resist the temptation. :D Better not think about it.

Lifetime is goooood! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.