age old argument, hardware firewall in place - need a software one?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Syncman9, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Hi All,

For a long time, I've had both a hardware firewall in place and a software firewall in place. I've also been using process guard to provide additional protection.

Well to cut a long story short, my software firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) acted up, and basic screwed my connection. After removing it, everything was fine.

So the question is, do I need it? do I need a software firewall?

Processguard effectivly controls which applications run, all incoming connections are blocked, and certain outgoing ones are as well.

Or am I taking a big or bigger risk by not having one ?

Aaron

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

In my opinion, you're fine as you are. Incoming nasties will be blocked by your hardware firewall and any outgoing stuff trying to get through blocked ports will also fail. So the only connections that your hardware firewall will fail to stop are rogue processes trying to connect out through permitted ports, which PG should cover.

For a paranoid solution, install a software firewall such as Kerio or Sygate, but unless you're a "high risk" surfer, that really is overkill.

3. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Is every PC on your LAN always clean? Does anyone hook up to it that could have a worm from a previous source? The hardware firewall protects the perimeter, the software firewall protects if you have potentially unsure connections within the LAN. If it's security you are interested in, I'd say use WinXP firewall. If you want control (for outbound) then you need a third party software firewall.

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I don't think it is necessary with a router. I don't use any software firewall with my router and I am completely stealthed on all the regular testing sites. I would say if you are more worried about controlling what goes out than what comes in, then yes, use a software firewall. I am networked in my house and my KAV catches any network attacks that try to infect my computer from my kids computers, so good antivirus is still a must.

5. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

mem,

I trust my lan, so I would have no need to use winXP firewall.

I think the only issue I can foresee where I might need a software firewall, is VPN's. Since they effectively bypass the routers protection, I'm at the mercy of any machine I connect to (which isn't many).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.