After Restore, PC won't boot, keeps cycling.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BMurphy, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMurphy

BMurphy Registered Member

o_O
    I'm using TI 9.0 (latest ver.)
    I ran sysprep on the PC that I am returning. I then made a Full image backup of this PC. (PC OS is Windows XP Pro).
    I now have my new PC (still an IBM, but newer model) and want to restore the syspreped image to it.
    I booted from the Acronis boot CD and I restored the entire image, 1 partition, entire disk.
    Restore went fine - no errors.

When I now turn on the PC it tries to boot from DHCP (this is normal) and it doens't matter if I wait or hit [Esc] to go on, it will come up with the screen saying "Windows did not end normally last time...". I get the usual options of the 3 types of Safe modes or Start windows normally. It does not matter which option I pick, after a couple seconds the PC will restart and start this whole process over again and again.

Anyone have any ideas why it is doing this or how to get it boot on into Windows XP pro?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Try using the XP Cd that came with the new computer and do a Repair install.

3. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

From What I've Read In The past: If You replace only your hard drive,you can restore using the image but to restore to another PC You need to do some kind of sysprep to prepare the New pc So you can using the restored Image or you need to Use the disk Clone feature But yhat probably won't work since you already returned Your Old PC

See The Last Document for this link of how to prepare your new Computer

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html

4. BMurphy

I followed the doc on the link when I did the process. You do a sysprep on the PC to be imaged. You then shut down and start up the PC and image it from boot CD. (Don't let it go into windows after sysprep and before imaging.)

5. BMurphy

I thougt about that. If I do that it won't mess with the programs installed on the PC will it? In other words, it isn't going to wipe them from the registry as if they are not installed is it?

I guess it doesn't matter - it doesn't work now anyway and if that doesn't work I can still put the image (that doesn't work) right back on and get to the same state I am at now.

Thanks

6. Chutsman

When you boot with the XP cd, there are two dialog windows that have the Repair option. You want the second one, which will leave your programs intact. So ignore the first Repair option, choose whatever is the other option and I think it is the next dialog window that has the second Repair option.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BMurphy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

The restored system may be unbootable because startup drivers and components, used by the source system, cannot operate on a different motherboard, processor etc.

Using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) does not solve this problem, because Sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base, articles 302577 and 216915).

We can suggest you to perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. BMurphy

Thanks Chutsman. I was trying to use the first one and got the Recovery console - not what I wanted. So told it to install and then got the 2nd repair option (the one you referred to), what I wanted.

Thanks Acronis support. I primarily am a systems analyst/application developer and not that familiar with this detail of hardware. Didn't know about HAL (except from 2001 space odysey). I did the sysprep and thought that would handle it. Thanks for the useful information.

9. Chutsman

Did you get back your system to boot normally and with programs and files intact?

10. BMurphy

Maybe. I now have a problem with logging onto the network with the Novell client. I can boot into workstation only though. So I need the network to actually use the PC, but yes I can boot into windows xp pro. (Getting the network guy to see if he can resolve the logon issue.)
    Thanks.

11. BMurphy

The network guy said it had the incorrect network drivers. He put the correct ones on and now it is up and running.

12. Chutsman

Good to know ... the Repair feature must have installed "generic" drivers. Glad to hear you're up and running again.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BMurphy,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.