After Auto-updating Sun Java on XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MICRO, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I returned to the Sun Java 'test' page and the dancing animated object
    was not to be seen, just something about an error - I then disabled
    my Firewall and returned to the test page to find the dancing object in full dance mode, it said, your Java is working.

Did the above several times with same result - Can anyone hazard a guess
    as to why the above is a fact ?
    and if there is any way to tell that the Java is working properly when my Firewall is enabled ?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, are you still using IE7 and OA? Is the Sun Java Web site listed as Trusted in both FW and browser?
    I don't use OA but remember reading somewhere about allowing sites via the FW. Sounds like the browser is set but the FW is not; you might as well check both.

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

G'day JRV. and thanks - Yes, I still use both, but it's the Kerio 215 FW that
    I needed to disable before the dancer would work, and there were no pop up
    messages from either Kerio or OA asking me if I wanted to allow/disallow anything Sun or Java -
    what I am not understanding is why a FW needs to have 'trusted' at all for Java to work, I thought it would just work once installed ?
    If you have Sun's Java JRV. on your machine do you have it 'trusted' - I wonder why it would need to have access once it's installed other than to call home ?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MICRO, I have the latest Java 6 Update 11 installed (Win XP) and the Web sites (sun.com and java.com) are both allowed via Firefox 3.0.5 (NoScript allowed) and IE6 (Trusted Zone). However, every time I use their Test page, I need to grant permission, via a pop-up on my Zone Alarm FW v5.5.094.000, to Java(TM) Platform SE Binary, in order for the page to work.

Check and see if C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe shows up anywhere in your FWs. That's the file that needs to communicate with the Java site in order to display the results on the Test page. I don't give that file permanent access because I want to know if and when Java is calling home.

5. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes JRV. thanks - the path/file to which you refer above is allowed by OA but
    'not' by Kerio - and so I shall have to watch what happens because Kerio
    denies everything access for which there is no specific ruleset, (that's no doubt why I didn't get asked the question)Kerio doesn't ask when it's set on Deny everything - It's probably
    why I needed to disable Kerio while test/verifying that the same version of Java you have, actually worked - All I can do for the minute I guess is hope that
    the Java still works when Kerio is enabled, it should of course, because Java should not require access to Sun for any reason other than the updater
    which I can switch off now.

Kind Regards.
    ps,
    I have all the IE Security options set on *High* and don't allow any trusted sites because I don't trust anything - LOL !!

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, it should work. BTW, even after removing the check mark from Check for Updates Automatically at the Update tab, Java Control Panel, I found and disabled C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe from running at startup. Just FYI. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.