Advise

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mllopes, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mllopes

mllopes Registered Member

Hi
    I need some help please, i have an old PIII at 750mhz with 512mb of RAM and have installed BOClean, Spysweeper,NOD32,look`n`stop firewall(trial version i have a license for zonealarm and was using it, so far so good with look`n`stop),prevx1 this are software that i have in real time, my question is what can i take away and at the same time keeping security at a good level, dont want to degree the level of security on my pc.
    Thank you all for the help

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

mllopes,

On my own PC's, I am running NOD32 or KAV or F-Prot, Outpost Pro or LooknStop, and BOClean as the base setup. Antispyware applications, if installed at all, are run on demand, but my experience over the past 6 months or so is that virtually no spyware is getting through since the initiating trojan downloader is being tagged (generally by the AV, occasionally by BOClean) as soon as it appears.

Blue

3. mllopes

Thank you for your fast response, and do you have a pc with the caracteristics of mine?
    I also think that SS is taking a lot of resources from the pc but always a litle afraid of taking it of real scan but i think that with NOD32 i can take it of real scan and put it on demand.
    And how about prevx1 should i take it also?

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My machine specs are in the range of Pentium M (1.6 GHZ) or P4 (2.8 or 3.0 GHz/HT), 512 MB - 2.5 GB RAM, 80 GB - ~1.6 TB HDD total.
    Again, my personal experience is that current and updated AV's handle spyware well. This wasn't true a year ago. AS applications do serve a role, but in a lower spec machine I would tend to place them in a demand scanning mode.
    That's a harder question. I've tried prevx1 for a few weeks recently, and it is a solid application. If you have it dialed in, working well, and don't see a substantial loss in system responsiveness, I'd keep it as is.

Blue

5. mllopes

Thank you again for your help.
    Prevx1 is working very well on my pc, i am going to take SS and keep only BOClean, NOD32,look`n`stop and Prevx1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.