ADVICE... plz

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by subratam, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subratam

subratam Registered Member

i have bitdefender 7 and AVG 7 with resident shield.. ZAP and TDS-3
    i was trying to install NAV2002 first up by mistake and stopped halfway...anyway i cant uninstall NAV2002 or again reinstall it as it is giving error in Microsoft installer...
    and then i tried to install NAV2004 and it made my computer verrrrry slow... i unistalled it.. i installed NIS 2003 and then again it was slow... so i unstalled all the NAVs .. dunno but it was still slow...can anyone give some advie or say what has really happened??

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

A question ... How many actual anti virus "real time " monitors have you got active ?

Some times it helps to run a complete scan disk and defrag after deleting a few programmes and before setting up a new one. ( It may help)

I suspect 3 anti virus programmes may be a little much for your system , especially as you also have a anti trojan .(are you expecting trouble ? )

3. subratam

i am having only 2 bitdefender and avg.. thats it.... and no av else
    i got tds as u said...
    hmmm i think i hav to defragment..once
    moreover i got cable internet in windows its getting disconnecter after sometime saying network problem but in linux i am accessing free flowing connection :rolleyes:
    would welcome any advice whatsoever

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Subtram - running several AV programs may create a conflict if all of them are running at the same time. To successfully have more than one AV on your system, only one must be running and others are resident backups & run on command only. Question: Why would you want so many AV programs in the first place? If you have your security settings in your browser as well as your mail set properly, one AV will suffice. Works well for me.

NAV is a guzzler on resources ... can your computer handle it along with other stuff you have loaded? If not, this may be the cause of a slowdown also. But as suggested, doing a disk scan and then defrag will most definitely speed up your computer.

5. subratam

i dont have NAV in my computer i did have but i also uninstalled them.... and as u said though.. i just checked AVG reseident shield as run on command only and have kept bitdefender as my resident monitor
    i will soon run defrag...
    moreover i got cable internet in windows its getting disconnecter after sometime saying network problem but in linux i am accessing free flowing connection
    o_O

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Yes definitely only have one "real time monitor " running .
    System maintenance done weekly is a sound idea . I would suggest you run a scan disk ( set to thorough ) and a defrag . Although this will take a while its needful . Then set your scan disk to "standard " and maybe weekly run a scan disk and defrag . It will nottake long as you will be tidy and up to date . You could dedicate that hour also to updating all security software ie adaware / spybot search and destroy / spyware blaster/ TDS3/ both anti virus s . And run a complete full scan once a week of each of them .
    Keeping our systems tidy is a fine way of pc security and also keeps the system running better . Also clearing out the cookies and cache etc now and again.
    Just a few practices that are worth while . I usually dedicate and hour once a week for these things .

Then see how things flow with your connection it may improve .

My feeling is that its not needful to run a battleship online. Having one anti trojan and one good ( or 2 at the max) anti virus is good. There s a tendancy , and we all get caught up in it , to go bananas when we see all the " possible " risks and security solutions out there . We also can spend far more than we ever need . Commonsense and simplicity is a real good quality for each of us to cultivate online in this highly commercial and increasingly complicated and often perplexing world .

7. subratam

i have all got that done.. i myself have everything updated to the word D... i always do my system maintenance and always dedicate everyday for updating..
    i do keep my mid in system maintenance.. the one thing that i am not gettin answer but everything else is....
    moreover i got cable internet in windows its getting disconnecter after sometime saying network problem but in linux i am accessing free flowing connection
    (i was just checking makiavelli's thread.. which says his/her computer is getting slow after sometime... dunno some memory hog or anything... huuh pieter did find some malware in his hijack.... will have to post my hijack soon then here...)
    i am in linux nou as i have some real work to be done this windows is really... cant find any more derogatory words.. hell lot i hav been saying :mad: )

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I started to install nav 2002 once upon a time and I did what subratam did I stopped the install about in the middle. Well my comp started to act about like he explains I could not reinstall or use add remove as it had not completed enough install so I had to manually go in the registry and remove it that way. By the way this a big program and it took a while to dig all of the norton files out. I thought I had gotten it but Nooooo. I had to go back and remove all of the symantec entries. What a pain.I finally got it all out but I learned not to stop a symantec install before it is through. :(

- removed unnecessary attachment.

9. subratam

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 1:10:14 PM, on 11/25/2003
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\cisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
    C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\vsserv.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Tray Wizard\TWizard.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Desktop Architect\datray.exe
    C:\Program Files\eLitecore\Cyberoam Client for 24Online\CyberoamClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CHWEETY\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.internet.vsnl.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by VSNL Internet Service
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O1 - Hosts: 203.161.127.141 www.dcsresearch.com
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tray Wizard] C:\Program Files\Tray Wizard\TWizard.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Desktop Architect] "C:\Program Files\Desktop Architect\datray.exe" -S
    O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: 24Online Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\eLitecore\Cyberoam Client for 24Online\CyberoamClient.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.internet.vsnl.com
    O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CHWEETY\Local Settings\Temp\EI40_\msxml4.cab

whats dcsresearch.com o_O

10. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

subratam,

Are you running Kerio firewall and Zone Alarm?

Optigrab

11. subratam

no... i am not... i installed the both and then made kerio not running keeping ZAP active... the hijack was done like that coz i wanted to give the clear picture.. i do know running two firewall is not a good option already :)
    anyway i think there's something wrong... i ran system mechanic defrag which after sometime said that low on memory resouces :doubt:... the windows defragmenter said i din need to defrag.... 32% fragementation exist... it says....
    whenever i am aaccessing internet through windows i cant continue for long o_O but in LINUX.. its fast as concorde...

12. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Well I may be reading your log wrong , but isn't
    C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
    listed under "running processes"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.