Advice Please

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by NewUser3, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewUser3

NewUser3 Guest

First, let me say that I have been reading this board for the last few days and I have learned a lot. You guys sure seem to know your stuff.

Now to my story. I was using NAV, but I was having some trouble which required a HD reformat and reinstall of Window XP Home. I won't go into the whole ugly story, but I have reasons to suspect that NAV was causing the trouble. I am now without anit-virus software.

I was expecting to use McAfee, but after doing some research I realized that there were better options. I am currently considering NOD32 or Kapersky. I was leaning toward Kapersky because I did not like the manual setup of multiple email accounts required by NOD32.

The announcement of NOD32 V.2 seems to solve that problem. However, while I am a fairly sophisticated user, I am resistant to using a Beta version of AV software. What Any idea how long until the public release of V.2 is expected?

I am considering using Kapersky for now and then maybe sometime in the future switching to NOD32 V.2. I have also been considering using the free trial of NOD32 for now, and upgrading to V.2 when released (again the manual email configuration problem). Or, I could just have some guts and go with the Beta.

Any suggestions?

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi.You are considering NOD as an av program?I really like it and I have xp home operating system also.The beta works fine on my pc so far.But,don't take the beta unless you are willing to take a chance on being exposed to possible bugs in the beta version!As far as final release date,I don't think anyone knows yet.Try the trial version of the regular program.I'm sure that it's available from eset yet. http://www.nod32.com

3. Hello...

Man, as I was reading your post, I realized I was in YOUR shoes in April! I used to use NAV 2002, and all I had were headaches! I don't want to get into it, but NAV cost me a lot of money! (Cleaning viruses, etc... time lost, etc...)

Don't get McAfee.. I bought that after NAV and it was worse than a virus! Especially with XP home, you probably will have a lot of problems...

NOD32 is the one for me.. I am currently trialling the beta version, and yes, it has some bugs in it, but they are not too bad. That's why it's a beta! However, I can understand your concern about configuring your email accounts.. It's not that big a deal, really..

You could just try the beta and see if you like the look.. To uninstall it, I suggest reinstalling it first, then do what the program tells you to uninstall, then reboot, then do a HD search for "NOD3" and ESET, only make sure you pick the files relavant to the company "ESET", not "RESET" or others you may find...

Delete them. Then use a good registry cleaner (I use Registry First Aid) and then search your registry for "NOD3" and ESET, again picking only the ones that are relevant to NOD32.. When in doubt, don't delete!!

I trialed Kaspersky for a week a while ago.. To resource hungry, even for XP, and TOOOO Confusing! Why bother when your have NOD32!

Still, though, I would like to know when the release date will be.. I guess it is better for them to fix it good and ready, instead of promising by a certain date...

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI NewUser:

First welcome.

re your question about AV.

If you never take advice from me again, then just do it this once.

Never get McAfee. StraightShooter was on target [pun intended] when he said McAfee was the pits.

My advice: Go get AVG

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm

It's a VERY GOOD FREE AV.

Then, when NOD is sorted out, buy it. That's it from me.

EDIT: I had a friend who did not want to pay for an AV. I downloaded AVG and installed it for him. First time I had ever seen the program. In less than 15 minutes, I had it installed, updated, scanned his entire system, and scheduled tasks done for him. Very easy to configure, etc.
    Remember, this is just until NOD is sorted, as I strongly believe in it as a superb AV.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

From experience with mine and a friends having viruses go straight past AVG, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole :D To me it is only slightly better than having nothing :D

I have been using Nod32 since August of this year and have found setting up Outlook Express to be extreamly simple, Nod has its own wizard. If you are not using OE, then yes, it can be a little fun to set up.

The new Nod32 V2 Beta works perfectly on my system (had to install in safe mode though), Windows XP-Pro SP1, 512MB DDR Ram, 2.0GHz CPU.

I wish you well in your choice...

Cheers.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I made the jump to NOD myself just within the past month or two. Yes, I was mildly intimidated by the email setup but this group here, the Wilder's NOD group, came through with flying colors and helped me every step of the way. These people here WILL answer your every question and usually very quickly. Whatever your decision, good luck.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I agree with most of the comments and oppinions mentioned
    above - NOD32 installation and setup is not as difficult as it
    seems to be at first sight.

The advantage of NOD32 is its speed and accuracy of virus
    detection with only a little number of false positives. You
    can try installing the trial version, and, if satisfied (hope you
    would certainly be), you can purchase the full version and
    upgrade to the new version for free when available.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact
    NOD32 technical support (even if you are evaluating the trial
    version).

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi: The ONLY reason I advocated for AVG until NOD was in full public release, was in direct reply to NewUser stating he was a bit daunted by the setup of NOD's email.

Otherwise I would have said for him to go directly to NOD. He did state looking for another AV before switching to NOD later on, hence the recommendation from me in the interim.

I fully agree with Marcos and Acadia about NOD being a fantastic AV [the best for sure], but to be perfectly frank, if NewUser was a bit worried re problems, then the thread on 'bug reports' sure is pretty long.

Obviously it's only a Beta release, but the fact that so many have reported, made me err on the side of caution until NOD was finalised, or at the very least, a bit less quirky than at this very present.

I will not be leaping to NOD just yet, will wait until then.
    Cheers. :)

9. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

NOD32 2.0 Beta works perfectly stable on my system.
    My advice: get a trial, hope you will love it. It it will satisfy your needs, get a full licence, as NOD32 2.0 is free update/upgrade for regged users..

But i have to state my advice is biased :D :D - Have 5+ years experience with NOD, since the NOD-iCe times. Never envoutered a serious problem. :cool: :cool:

10. Ice

Ice Registered Member

Would seriously advise against using Kapersky, as it is a serious resource hog, and has manage to thrash three hd in six months. This beta release is quite stable, and you can rest easy as nothing escapes it and believe me i have tried :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.