ADSUBTRACT SE

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bottlecaps, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bottlecaps

bottlecaps Registered Member

Do all versions of Intermute's AdSubtract SE (free) have spyware installed in it?

I use AdShield.Which is better?

Thanks!

2. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

None of them have spyware..........where'd you get that from?

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I never heard of AdSubtract having spyware on it. AdShield is a nice little program.

4. bottlecaps

bottlecaps Registered Member

Well I read some reviews from people at cnet(don't laugh) and at freedomlist.com and then I found this from Pestpatrol...

http://www.pestpatrol.com/Support/About/About_Products_Incorporating_Spyware.asp

The list is a little dated.It is from Dec.29 2000 and it says that version 1.66 is suspect, not confirmed, of having spyware.

I see that the newest version 2.52 is good for only 6 months.Does anyone know what the last version was that wasn't time limited?

I figured if anybody would know it would be the good people here at wilders :D

5. notageek

I wish I could help you but I don't know to much about AdSubtract. I would assume that AdShield and Proxo would do the same thing as AdSubtract.

6. trrerter

trrerter Guest

Adhield is a BHO

Adsubtract and Proxo are HTTP proxies. Not really the same. Adshields works only for IE, HTTP proxies generally work for all browsers.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, a couple of years ago AdSubtract was suspected of having spyware but I thought it was eventually cleared. As others have stated, AdSubtract is a proxy, AdShield is not. Some proxies can slow down surfing a bit, not saying AdSubtract will, but some proxies do. I have used both programs and I must admit I liked both. But I do like AdShield better; more control over ads and popups. BUT, AdShield will give you no control over cookies whereas, as you probably know, AdSubtract will. By the way, where are you getting a free AdSubtract, I thought they no longer were offering the free version?

Take care, Acadia.

8. notageek

I didn't think the free version of AdSubtract managed cookies. If it don't than it's just a pop up blocker and ad blocker, right?

9. notageek

I'm sorry about the last post. I just found and read that AdSubtract SE just blocks basic ads and that's it. So as I stated before AdShield will do the same thing plus you can add more ads to block and it blocks pop ups.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I used the free version for a couple of years and yes, it did manage cookies, BUT, it only allowed limited management; for complete management you had to purchase the pro version. I still am of the opinion that they are no longer offering the free version. If someone has a link to the free version (not trial version) I'd like to see it posted. Thanks, Acadia.

11. notageek

Acadia, your wish is my command. lol :) I found this site right here that offers AdSubtract SE
    http://www.zoom.com/techsprt/adsubtract.shtml

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you. I'm bookmarking that baby in case I ever want to use AdSubtact again. Good find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.