Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Next problem. Norton 2015 double flags Adguard.. Reputation AND Insight warnings, and deletes it straight away.

Attached Files:

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

I found 2 problems with Adguard for Windows in Firefox.
    1. Adguard does not allow Firefox to update addons(both manual and automatic updates). Even though there is a new version of an addon in AMO website, when I check for updates manually, it displays no updates found. After disabling protection, I'm able to update the addons.
    2. When installing addons from external websites like lastpass.com and https-everywhere, addon is downloaded, but gives an error "The addon could not be downloaded because of a connection failure in <website>.com". After disabling adguard protection, I can install the addon.

Had this problem for long, but never expected adguard was causing the problem. Just tried updating addons and installing addons from external websites after disabling adguard and it worked!

Screenshot (2).png

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I too had that problem but never expected AdGuard to be the problem

4. KaptainBug

Its adguard. Try installing the extension disabling the protection and you will be able to update or install addons from external sites.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

How can such a major bug pass by for so long with no fix!!

6. avatar

@KaptainBug
    @Mortal Raptor

Strange because it's an old issue and we've already fixed it long time ago.
    The problem is the way how Firefox checks add-ons websites SSL certificates.
    By default it does not accept builtin certs (and that's what we use to filter SSL).

Here is an old discussion of this bug/feature:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435743

So, on our side we have added mozilla domains to SSL exclusions.
    This has fixed the bug with AMO addons (at least I cannot reproduce it on my side).

You can do the same with www.eff.org, just add it to SSL exclusions (in Adguard's network settings) and restart Firefox.

UPD: You should add s.eff.org to exclusions to install https-everywhere.

7. avatar

@Mayahana

We participate in Symantect software vendors whitelist program, but clearly it works not very good.

Also about Untangle, seems that it is their Ad Blocker who blocks our website.
    Could you please show your Untangle Ad Blocker settings so I can report this as false positive?

8. KaptainBug

Thanks @avatar. I remember that I have deleted the default exclusions for https filtering. Didn't realize it was there for a reason. I have restored the list by clicking reset to defaults.

How can I add new sites to the list ? There is no option to add a site to exclusions. Please add s.eff.org to exclusions in your next update.

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Attached Files:

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'm waiting for Adguard 6 for Windows. I had too many issues with Adguard 5, but it appears development has been stalled on version 6 for Windows? Right now the extension seems to run a lot better than the windows version. It's slightly faster, and doesn't seem prone to issues. I'm hoping the v6 rewrite will offer much improvement?

Given Admuncher development seems to have been cancelled, Adguard is really the only alternative, but the extension will have to do until v6 I guess.

11. avatar

Just double-click on the last empty row in the list.
    It's not very user-friendly, I know:)

12. avatar

@Mayahana
    We're not good enough in time management. Working on v6 but we still have a lot to do.

13. KaptainBug

Awesome. Thanks!

14. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Does Adguard for Android Premium auto renew after 1 year or do you have to opt out. Do i have to use the VPN to filter traffic or can i run on port 8080.

15. Dragon1952

Does Adguard for Windows filters work for my cell phone when i have Mobile Data turned off and use my home Wifi for internet traffic.

16. avatar

No, you should renew it by yourself after license expires.

I'd prefer local VPN mode. Proxy mode is ok if you have ROOT access but if not it's a pain to setup proxy for each wi-fi connection.

17. avatar

You mean Adguard for Android? If you use VPN mode then it should work ok.

18. Dragon1952

Do i need AFA when i am home and use Wifi Adapter from my Desktop Computer which has Adguard For Windows installed.

19. avatar

It's a bit tricky. You should make AG filter all traffic going through this adapter.

Or you can use a simpler way:
    1. Install and run CCProxy
    2. Add CCProxy as a browser to Adguard so it can filter it's traffic
    3. Setup proxy on your Android device

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Adguard should do a custom Linux Distro (UTM) with full malware/adware filtration. OR - cut a deal with Untangle to toss it in their product for a small fee. The built-in Untangle Adblocker is... Anemic at best with only about 14,000 entries. I still use it, but imagine a module with Adguard built it? I'd pay monthly for that!

21. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I couldn`t agree more, this is a necessary feature in my opinion and use it extensively in ABP.

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

@avatar
    As for the blocking of favicons, I have created two custom rules (*favicon* and *.ico*) which block the most favicons but logically not all. Those being not blocked are having a .png extension in the most cases, so I created another rule (*.png) that blocks favicons but brings also negative impact because it blocks all png images. Hence can you help me to create a rule that would be blocking specifically only png favicons? Thanks!

23. avatar

We can make a linux app -- console-based proxy. But in this case you won't get HTTPS filtering.

24. avatar

They all looks like images to us. There's no way we can distinguish favicons from other images.

If you use Adguard for Windows you better remove all favicons from HTML code with a rule like this:
    Code:
    $$link[rel="icon"]

25. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks but I use the extension for the time being. Any similar code to be used in the extension?

BTW, Wilders forum site shows favicon even if it is blocked, please see an entry from the filtering log.

The same happens on http://mapy.in-pocasi.cz/
    Favicon is blocked (as per filtering log) but it shows in fact.

What's going on?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.