Additional on demand scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guntekfh37, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guntekfh37

guntekfh37 Registered Member

For on-demand scanner, I changed to SUPERAntiSpyware from adaware & spybot. Should I add some more? Thanks

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

You can add as many on-demand scanners as you want. The problem is, with on-demand you attack malware once it is already on your system, so better focus on real-time. be sure to have just 1 real-time solution for each malware: 1 RT AV, 1 RT AS (if you want to), 1 firewall, etc.

If you real-time strategy and your behavior is right, you'll se that it doesn't matter how many on-demand scanners you have, they always end up with no infections found.

3. guntekfh37

I seldom get spyware or such after using firefox. So I just use on demand scanner once per month or even once three month :p . If there is a light and free RT AS, I may try.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

For free AV, people here mostly recommend AVG or Avast.
    For AS, SAS pro, is considered lightweight, you could give it a try, but it isn´t free.
    For a stronger security, Firefox+NoScript. And you could use SpywareBlaster too... it uses no resources at all, literally.
    Maybe you could check out some other approaches, like sanboxing. SandboxIE is a great free addition.

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Limited account w/ SRP

6. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

As HURST said, on demand whatever you want.
    I use these apps on demand for example:
    Ad-Aware
    AVG Anti-Spyware
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    F-Secure BlackLight
    Rootkit Revealer

All auto run entries disabled and services stopped, so there is no useless process in memory.

Cheers

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

You may also want to take a look at BitDefender 10 free. Even though it's an AV it does scan for spyware, etc.

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

...+ Winpooch and you have a real-time, resident scanner...;)

/C.

9. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

What Hurst said:

Scanners rely on black-list of known malware. Even most real-time scanners rely mainly on black-listed known malware. You rely on some software vendor to discover a threat, add the threat to a black-list and update the latest black-list to you to improve your protection. Until the updates are completed, you are not protected against the new threats.

The most effective real-time protection strategies are probably those that demand you make decisions about accepting-or-blocking any attempted opening of any program element that:
    - Hasn't been white-listed as certified safe.
    - Hasn't been declared safe by you by prior 'accept' decision.

This type of protection can be annoying due to initial demand of required decisions by you to accept or block, but once the protection has 'learned' (compiled your own white-list and black-list), the annoyance diminishes - and your real-time protection is as good as it can be.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  10. guntekfh37

I finally make up my mind on following :

avira classic
    comoda v3 with defense+ OFF
    threatfire
    superantispyware on-demand
    firefox with adblock

My point is light, work & user-friendly.
    Give it time to tell me how. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.