Adding Files

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Whynot, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Hi,
    As a complete novice I'm trying to determine which files requiring protection I need to add. On my root drive I have over 800 .exe's and on my program drive over 100. That's a lotta work, an' I'm sure totally OTT - not to mention if the 'puter would actually be workable after this. So, if I load the default list and my security software, is this enough. Suggestions and help sorely needed, thanks.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

you would probably just need to add your resident security software (firewall, Anti-Virus, Anti-Torjans, etc...) as well as your internet capable program, browser/mail/IM, etc... plus default windows critical services added by default by PG :)

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Morning/afternoon all ......I hope this has not been asked........ Is it ok to allow Globel Hooks on all security programs

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hello Whynot!,
    You really only need to add protection for 1) system processes (explorer.exe, winlogon.exe, etc), and 2) security processes (your firewall, antivirus, antitrojan, etc).

Rainwakler,
    Generally yes, because security programs are 'trusted' programs - ie. you know that even if they use hooks, they won't use them maliciously.

The general rule of thumb is - if you completely trust a program (such as a reputable firewall or antivirus) then it should be OK to give it full, unrestricted privilege access, but if you don't completely trust a program, then use Process Guard to restrict its capabilities to see if it tries to do anything potentially malicious.

5. Rainwalker

OK thanks Wayne...... another question..... IF a trusted program needs hooks and i have not allowed that in 'Options", will this be noted in the Window Log thus letting me know, in a manner of speaking, that i should allow hooks ?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rainwalker, Any programme requiring hooks will show a log of the event and if PG is minimised it's icon will change from red to blue. You will have to assess if the programme making such hook requests is a valid and trusted application, if it is on your list iist it is trusted so you can make the necessary allows, if it is a trusted application that you know then it should probably be listed anyway :)

Hope this makes sense - Pilli

7. @Wayne:

"You really only need to add protection for 1) system processes (explorer.exe, winlogon.exe, etc), and 2) security processes (your firewall, antivirus, antitrojan, etc)."

Why? What about ...

"you would probably just need to add ... as well as your internet capable program, browser/mail/IM, etc...plus..." (by gkweb)

8. Rainwalker

Couldn't be clearer Pilli :) i have not yet installed the latest version ....... color change in icon :cool:

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Rainwalker, Be sure to uninstall 1.200 in the correct order.
    Diasble protecrion
    In Task Manager terminate pg_msprot.exe
    Uninstall PG

If you want to save your settings - Reboot and remove or rename your pguard.dat file found in the \windows\system32\ folder.

Install the new version of PG Important! - Before restarting delete or rename the new pguard.dat file and replace with your old file.

Pilli ;)

10. Rainwalker

Thanks Pilli........ I would not have thought to remove new .dat before installing old........ your a great help....have a cookie now and a virtual beer/single malt later :D

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Cheers Rainwalker! Hope the upgrade goes well. :)

Attached Files:

12. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Thanks to all for replies and advice - a gill of 15yr old all round, an' if you don't like whiskey - you will after tasting this stuff mmmmmm !
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.