Adding extension files?

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Atomas31, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I'd like to know where in WormGuard can I add extension file to be check or or to be prevent on opening of those? For exemple, if I place the extension .vbs in my blocked list editor will WG simply block any file with that extension and tell me that is has blocked the file or will it give me a windows where I would have the choice to open it or noto_O

Thank you,
    Atomas31

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

This is the warning i get when i tried to open a .vbs file i created in notepad to my desktop. There are no options here. I've only had options before when it is suspicious files i attempted to open with choices to view safely or open file anyway.

snowbound

Attached Files:

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi snowbound,

Should I add some extension files in Wormguard, just to be better protected? If so, wich one?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Actually, i've pretty much gone with what was there when i first purchased Wormguard a long time ago. It has protected me so well i felt no need to keep adding file extensions to it. I'm sure there are many u could add so hopefully some of the other Wormguard users will jump in here and give u some ideas.

snowbound

5. BourgePD

BourgePD Registered Member

Same here. The only extension I have added during the three years I've been using WormGuard has been *.hta and, to tell the truth, I can't be sure that was even necessary. :D

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can add any kind of extension there is you want, but i wouldn't advice to add *.exe or *.com there for very understandable reasons! ;)
    For instance if you don't want to allow scripts running on your system you could add *.vbs so you don't have to cripple your system with disabling the WSH (windows scripting host), same with java, etc etc
    But WormGuard will scan for malicious code anyway.
    Did you look at the test scripts i posted in the sticky on top in the TDS forum? So you see what i mean!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.