Adblock Plus acceptable ads by the numbers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

How much money does ABP rake in per year now?

There is some sort of evolution with these annoying companies...they try to affiliate themselves with goodness (open source software) so they can get free test monkeys (users) and then they later hit their test monkeys with some grand announcement of more goodness by agreeing to align themselves with private companies, but for good cause. And in this case the good cause includes this meeting and $udden, fanta$tic friend$hip formed between Wladimir Palant and Till Faida. They still need the test monkeys to do the work for free.

I wonder how many times the story at the link was re-written to make sure it sounded convincing enough to the test monkeys?

3. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Adblock Plus is dead, Long Live Adblock Edge

4. siljaline

Despite all the recent and ongoing criticisms - most will probably stay with ABP.
    "Adblock Edge is a fork of the Adblock Plus" - frankly, I don't see a fork.
    That being said, whatever suits your needs.

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

There's a recurring pattern there. Eyeo GmbH is constantly on the lookout for legitimacy through new deals. First, they tried to get a foothold on the German market, followed by a charm offensive in the Americas. Now they're trying to people please themselves into a business arrangement with Twitter.

The Adblock Plus open source project and its fabricated cutesy community are merely a pose. Eyeo GmbH is about the abuse of borrowed market power, practising predator capitalism in order to cash in on what they rightfully perceived to be a booming multi-billion market.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/digital/...deutschlands-heimliche-werbemacht-1.1711497-2

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/lapublicidadhafalladoeninternetcreadordeadblock-1833715.html

6. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm getting a little upset as it seems fewer ads are being blocked by it, including some annoying obtrusive ones on Softpedia.

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Avast-Home-Edition-Screenshot-6474.html

Check that link of images of Avast!, and I'm getting an ad in the middle of the screen for LG products. Today it's not being as annoying as it was. Yesterday the ad was blocking entire images and following me as I scrolled down the page. There are other examples from other sites. Also note I don't have it set to allow some ads.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, that's why you're promoting Adblock Edge.

Oops, wait - isn't that that extension solely relying on exactly the same "fabricated cutesy community" of AdblockPlus maintaining all those filterlists? :ouch:

I'm shocked :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
  8. siljaline

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So how much money is ABP raking in per year now? This is the second time I've asked this question. Seems like the answer should be easy enough for the people in the know.

10. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Eyeo is incorporated as a GmbH, so you can look up their financial data in the German business register. There's not a lot of by the numbers there though:

https://www.unternehmensregister.de/

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

No LG ads for me with ABP (unless something else is blocking it: e.g., NoScript, DoNotTrackMe, HOSTS file, etc.).

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

same here. abp's the only extension here. must've something to do w/ difference in filter subscriptions.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

see, one application dies, and then comes another to replace the former.
    no reason to worry, guys. there'll always be entities & individuals such as eff and/or "new" wladimir palant's for the freedom loving people of "cyberia"!
    cheers to the internet that's free from ads!

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

about
    only different between them is the option "accetable ads" that can disabled in adblock plus or? Can adblock Edge disable the whitelist?

but i got a question

are the lists lile easy list that block ads?
    where is the white list? inside the subscription list?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  15. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

16. ance

ance formerly: fmon

No LG ads for me, everything is fine with ABP. :)

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And people will live off free, open-source air. Generous donations from the community is what helped sites like The H and Tuxmachines prosper and buy their new Lambos. And so forth.
    Mrk

18. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I use AdBlock Edge and dont see any ads on that page. I use Easylist and EasyPrivacy.

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

web sites, maybe such as yours, should have buttons where people can quickly and easily make "micro-donations".
    non-intrusive adds are ok and can be used as a source of revenue.

i chose to surf with scripts disabled (NoScript) because it's too painful surfing the web these days with the non-stop barrage of adds and other bandwidth-hogging stuff.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but do you think is the ony alternative to the future adblock plus ?->based on https://adblockplus.org/blog/acceptable-ads-by-the-numbers

thanks

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I surf with noscript too.
    That does not delegitimize other people's efforts to make money.
    I do not know if Wladimir has benevolent intentions or not. That's not the point.
    But he's is not the devil for wanting to make a living.
    Mrk

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

My friend, you have no idea how much I agree with you on this.:thumb: Absolutely life saver considering the internet is part of life now.;)

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

may i ask?
    i have some problems with english:oops:

is there an alternative to the future of adblock plus?
    i mean a component or program that can block 100% ads?

thanks

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Several members in here like ADMuncher a lot from what I have seen. But I let the 100% blocking rate question be unanswered. :)

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed. The internet doesn't magically pay for itself. If a website that I consider worth viewing supports itself with non-intrusive ads then I don't have a problem allowing them. The operative word is "non-intrusive". Some sites are really in your face with ads such as pop-up videos with sound and I have no problem blocking them. I use Adblock Plus and it keeps ads to a level where they don't bother me, which is good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.