Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ off line use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ArchMage, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchMage

ArchMage Registered Member

Just was looking over this new offering from Ad-Aware, im interested but at the same time not.
    Theirs some things about it that don't really work for me and they are as follow.
    plz correct me if im wrong on any topic.
    I have not installed the program in question yet, tnx you in advance for your time and experience. :)
    Grate forum btw, shame their not more like it. :)

I was thinking about the free to use version.

All good just don't touch my network stack or my web browser. scan if you must in real time only after the fact.
    Scan in sandboxe mode on the hdd or something in a dedicated folder.

no automatic updates are allowed, only offline full installers will ever be used any attempt to open or camp a network port must be able to be disabled, any attempt to repeatedly hammer my firewalls will be considered a network attack and harassment.

Forbidden on all counts, you my not spy on were i go, you my not block any internet site,you may not install any plugins on my web browser or mod my web browser in any way,you are not allowed to connect to any network.
    Must be able to be disabled before install.
    Ill be the judge of whats safe or not.

Network protection must be disabled before install, blacklisted IP addresses and known malicious websites is forbidden.
    The app in question must not touch anything on the network topic and any aspect that douse needs to be disabled before install.
    Ill be the judge of whats safe or not.

Speaking of that, some parts of my hdd or hole hdd can never be scanned by the av, doing so can damage the files in question.
    AV needs to be able to offer full manual control of what is or is not protected.

Geee i wonder why its Us only ? cloud based spyware anyone ?

As well i couldn't find the full redituable offline installer, i only install apps in this fashion.

So the real question is to anyone that knows more about this app then i do that is to say probably anyone that's used it is, were is the full installer "couldn't find it" and is it possible to keep the thing off my network stack seeing as if i see any network connection attempts, that topic needs to be disabled if it was done with out consent and 2nd if and when any odd programs or code is found the computer admin meaning me has to review what was quarantined and why and ill be the judge of if and when its send to AV home base.

Might i add as well that anything on the could topic douse nothing for me and the AV in question is forbidden from knowing anything about my software or hardware configuration and sending that to home base,everything is considered privet until i chose otherwise.

Anyone know if this AV meets my stricter then average requirements ? :blink:

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Because they outsource this monitoring and the service is most likely US based only? There's a LOT of resources that a company would need to do international credit monitoring, and you're NOT going to get that service for free.

All in all, I won't even touch on the rest of your post, because frankly your requirements seem entirely unrealistic, paranoid, and a bit obsessive compulsive. Sorry, just my opinion.

3. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Sounds like you need a full blown HIPS/sandbox combo, then YOU and only YOU will be......."the judge of what`s safe or not".

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Well the current version does not have automatic updates of new versions. New version need to be manually downloaded and installed. However the next release will have automatic program updates.

Installation of the plugins in optional.

I'm not sure about this one, it's something I've never even considered.

entropism has already answered yes.

Why?

Perhaps you should disconnect from the internet completely. I don't kno why you are so overly paranoid.

5. ArchMage

ArchMage Registered Member

Ty for everyone posts and options , ill try and answer everyone posts one at a time.

My self i remember how things were from the time of 1mgz computer till now and all i see of late is privacy invasion and the move by the powers that be to try and turn all our computers in to thin clients where some out side power is the true admin of your computer and not the end user and im 100% opposed to this move and chose not to be a part of it.
    I on the other hand will only use fat clients.

-----------------------------------------------------

All ready setup that way.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Good to know, sadly i wasn't able to find the link to download the installer located on this internet page.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

The installer located at this page is only 5 megs in size "ball park number" and i doubt the full program in question is only 5 megs in size.

Nice ! seeing as all i wanted was a anti virus\anti spyware only, all the rest douse nothing for me.

I do network security and privacy research , i have files in some parts of the computer that are dormant and are a "no touch" topic by anti virus's.

I all ready know their infected but they can't harm my computer, i don't need a AV telling me it found 100 infected files in that part of the computer, im all ready well aware that's the case, and that's my personal property.

so it would seem.

In this day and age, only the paranoid are safe from the privacy invading data mining vampires lol.

My strategy is simple ... imho a AV anti \ spyware app doesn't need to use the internet for any reason.
    Only time you need to is to update the app or some part of it if and when needed.

I only do that manually and install it in full installers, if the app in question try's to send network packets to any network or camp a network port i automatically consider it to be hostile.

If you were to do a netstat -anb on my end do you know what you find ? nothing , i can plug this computer right in to a high speed internet connection with no firewall in bridged mode and leave for a month and you wouldn't be able to hack anything seeing as everything has bin disabled and yet everything still works ...makes me wonder why Microsoft makes their os the way they do even when everyone that works in network security has informed them what their doing is a mistake that is proven to be a mistake over and over and over.
    port 445 anyone ? :cautious:

https://www.grc.com/port_445.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.