Ad-Aware 2007??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sooflymami, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Everytime when I use Ad-Aware program, it always detects atleast 100 files for tracking cookies..do you think maybe they might be deleting some important files like used for pictures or something? I installed that program and then I just clicked on update after I installed it in my computer..and then clicked on "scan"..am i using it correctly?? Or did I have to goto options or something and then choose the files not to detect or something like that right after i installed? I'm just worried because when I used Ad-Aware SE, it detected less than 100 files for sure.

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Tracking cookies are files that track your surfing habits. They may violate your privacy however, they are not necessarily malicious.

The tracking cookies detection depends on the number of sites you visit that uses cookies. You can disable cookies in Firefox (Tools>Options>Privacy). You can use this add-on to permit cookies from sites you trust/that need cookies to work right.

Most cleaners like CCleaner also removes cookies. You can put cookies you want to keep in CCleaner's exclusion list (Options>Cookies). Here's the online guide.

By the way, if you're not satisfied with Ad-Aware why keep it? You can try out SuperAntiSpyware Free.

thanatos

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

In most cases, cookie files are text based files placed into your PC for tracking purposes by websites. Most are harmless. Most spyware scanning programs will be able to identify cookie files and allow you the option to get rid of them. Whether the program options after you installed are appropriate for you depends on what type of scan that you want to perform. The associated user instruction file should provide explanation on what options to set for a program. Sometimes the installed default options are sufficient for a particular user and sometimes not. The volume of cookie files stored in your PC depends on what websites that you frequent. If you wish for the program to ignore cookie files, that should be an option. I've never modified the program options when I used Ad-Aware, so I think it is OK for most users as well. Most tech support recommend that you use multiple antispyware programs because each will have varying abilities to detect malware. They are not like AV or firewall programs which will usually conflict if there are several installed at the same time. The only possible issue for multiple antispyware programs is where there are multiple real time protection versions installed and there is potential conflict that might result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.