Ad-Aware 2007 available June 7

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jadda, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Good question! As far as I'm concerned it's a straight FP, since the default value should be '0'. I think a trojan may try and enter the value '1' to disable the running of Regedt32.exe and Regedit.exe.

However looking at this is confusing:-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/93466.mspx?mfr=true

it seems to suggest the opposite!

I wouldn't bother quarantining this item, I'm pretty sure that on XP at least the value should be '0'. If you wanted, you could try changing it to '1' and see if Regedit runs then.

3. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I understand that people here do not consider Adaware a good program but is that decision based on testing by various individuals or is it just a stereotype?

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Could having automatic definition update on startup and a few other automatic settings checked off be the reason it's always on?:)

5. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Well I think I'm glad that this thing was unable to fully install on my box after hearing everyones' comments. Yes I will stick with SAS as needed.

Attached Files:

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are you logged on as the administrator?
    I always used AD-Aware as a supplemental anti-spyware app. I use AVG and Superantispyware as my big guns. :)

7. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Yes I am logged on as administrator read post #33.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That seems to be the case with the free version of A-squared as well. I have not updated any of my programs for the past week. Must be the Vista updates that are bringing up all of these "bugs". :thumbd:

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

It's a fact based on real world usage. AAW is on the same level as WD which means it lacks adequate detection and removal capabilites compared to other applications (SAS, AVGAS, A2, CS, SS). I would consider AAW the BOSE, or Monster Cable, of anti-malware tools. It's all about marketing and snake oil tactics......

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

LMAO, I've been doing the same thing, except that I'm trying A2 realtime and wanted to see the reduction of the mem usage. I'm afraid to update AVG AS and I unistalled Ad-Aware (old version)last night. I'm waiting to see how all this pans out. ;) I may be stuck with Spybot and SAS as on-demands.

The timing of all this is horrible. Imagine the nightmare of the various spyware forums that recommend all these tools to others for cleaning purposes. A side effect would be slower systems from all the 'back-ground' services added. I guess the malware experts have to give uninstall instructions and or tell them how to disable a service. I really feel for those helping people cleaning up malware.

Cheers, innerpeace

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Without a doubt. Just have a look around at all the issues. For that matter, also have a look around at vendors who have quickly turned their products over to a bigger fish.

Remember Now!
    Vista by $M demands $$$$$$$ licenses for drivers compatibilty? Someone can clarify this better. I have nearly everything Vista on XP Pro :cool: , without any of those other hassles MOST are suffering with, including SPEED!!!

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

IMHO it would be a good idea to let Vista soak for about 6 months before upgrading from XP. As for that registry number that everybody pulled up doing their first scan, I checked over at the Castlecops Lavasoft Forum, and it seems Lavasoft sent us an update to fix that. I did the update, then restored the registry number from quarantine, then did a scan. The registry number appeared again as a MRU. I clicked ignore. The 21 MB's of memory running while AA is off, isn't really an issue for me. I see a few other services pulling almost that. With a GB of RAM it doesn't affect me. I think the auto definitions at start up are part of the reason it uses memory while it's "off". :)

13. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

I went ahead and deleted the registry number just for the hell of it. No issues so far for two since yesterday morning. I'll have to check it when I get home to see if the string recreated itself. I've uninstlled Ad-aware at this point due the the memory issue and the fact that I no longer see much benefit to the program. Still nothing but tracking cookies or MRU lists on my machine. Of course SAS didn't find anything on my rig either.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi twl845:

I agree to let vista soak! Try 18 months not 6!

What is the unseemly haste, those who want the latest and greatest for well what ever reasons bragging rights at parties, etc will always be with us, w95 to w98, w98 to xp to sp1 to sp2 now to vista, well I will always be the last dying dog (bad image) to go over.

I'm selfish, :cool: and quite willing to let others debug Mr Gate's software for him.

Easter is right again!

Maybe just maybe my next OS won't be vista but Linux, but for that move I will need a working test PC connected or course and I don't have that! (yet)

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I agree. I have been using the Plus version of this app. for years (last version). The last thing I want is a mediocre security app. that uses that much memory. When my version is no longer updated Ad-Aware will no longer take up space on my pc. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.