Ad-Aware 10 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by desertjon, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertjon

desertjon Registered Member

I installed the Ad Aware Beta 10 from the Lavasoft website..It updated and scanned my pc super fast..Then I rebooted my pc and everything was locked up..and I had to reinstall Windows to restore my pc..I don't reccomend the Beta

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not sure if they fixed it yet or not, but there is a bug with Vipre engine programs (UnThreat, Ad-aware, etc.) where they blue screen on reboot. When I tested them I had to add a registry key, but I can't remember what I did at the moment.

3. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Sorry to hear that but when you are trying a software in the beta fase, you must be prepared to this kind of things.

4. zip

zip Registered Member

I tried Ad-Aware 10.0.138.2879 on both XP & 7.

The only issue I experienced was it interfered with mbam's scans making them

much longer. Other than that it worked just fine.

5. desertjon

Thanks!..Maybe its because of my wireless connection

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Hopefully your not using your primary computer for beta software.

7. desertjon

Yes..I only have one pc..and I am guilty of trying out beta software from time to time..and thought I had learned a lesson from the past when Panda Free beta literally rearranged all my registry files :rolleyes:

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Obviously, you are "BOLD". ;)

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I suggest you that next time when you are willing to install beta software or you want to try whatever security software,do it in a Virtual Machine.Or if you really wanna test them on your real PC,use a Instant Recovery Software,like Comodo Time Machine (free) or RollBack (paid),just to give you 2 examples...

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

No disrespect Joe, and I certainly do not want to start a polemic or distract from the main thrust of this thread but I would caution against the use of CTM (that is assuming that one can even get it anymore from a legitimate source) as it has been linked (rightly or wrongly) to some equally disasterous happenings in relation to users systems once installed.

I run Rollback Rx but also make sure that I have a recent full image as a further backup...just in case Rollback Rx does not do its stuff.

Regards

Balders :D

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I could be wrong here but.....
    I wouldn't reccomend or (recommend);) the Beta or final of anything from Lava Soft, not only because of poor results from various tests or the fact that there are clearly better/stronger solutions available but everytime I hear/think of Lava Soft I can't help but be reminded of the sale/ acquisition of this company some time ago to a (for a lack of a better word) "Questionable" company.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/11/lavasoft_has_new_owners/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=312065

Not looking to start a war on this subject or wanting to beat a dead horse just my 2¢.

I very wise choice and a must have IMO if one tries new softwares/betas. (A good idea even if you don't)

12. desertjon

Sweet Jesus..you're right..and a big Thank You!

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I'm using CTM for about 3 years now without any problems,but i admit that the first time when i use it...it messed up my MBR,which btw is the disaster many users reported.And of course,beside a IRS software,a backup and imaging software is a must.Conclusion:i'm using CTM for my first line of defense (sort of speaking) and if something goes really wrong,Paragon Backup& Restore will save the day!:D

14. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Looks like you have got it covered. :D

Views on software are very subjective but as long as the good natured exposition of views continues here at Wilders we will all be better off for it.

Cheers

Baldrick

15. desertjon

Thanks Baldrick

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post.

17. desertjon

I know with the article that came out about the new owners and all the negative reviews and warnings..I scanned it with Malwarebytes Pro and it's supposed to be safe..considering..Maybe the bad guys decided to go good?..I know they're really delaying on releasing the final version 10..Maybe we should wait and see if it's what they claim it is...and like I said..use the Beta 10 version at your own risk..It almost crippled my pc

18. desertjon

Yes..When and if the new version 10 final is released..Im afraid to download it after all the bad press

19. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

That's a personal case. I'm using ad-aware 10 since the first beta and no such issues here.

20. carat

carat Guest

Are the update servers still crippled for Ad-Aware 10 Free? :doubt: Is it possible to hide the update window if the update ever works? :doubt:

21. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

I have never noticed that the program updates itself. It's hidden by default.

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Have they turned free version into paid 30 days i.e you will get paid version 30 days evaluation & then it will be turned to free version?

Coz I downloaded 2 times from their site the free beta version 10 & it gives paid version?

Any info?

23. carat

carat Guest

Does version 10 finally have on-access file protection? :doubt: How about the rootkit protection? :doubt:

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

The answer is in the Ad-Aware 10 beta discussion thread...

But yeah, it has all that access stuff..

25. carat

carat Guest

I think I should try it soon :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.