AD and Punkbuster?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Kegel, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Does anyone know if this program causes problems with PunkBuster? I was a long time user of Process Guard but uninstalled it becasue I cant play on PB protected servers. I figure if this works, it might be somewhat of an alternative to process guard.

On a side note: Any chance of offering a discount for purchasers of your other software? I figure if DiamondCS can do it, surely you can ;) That is if this is compatible with PB, otherwise, I don't care :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. berng

berng Registered Member

Why should it? Punkbuster put in specific code for PG. I wouldn't think they had a chance to yet code for AD.

Also, you can currently get around the punkbuster limitation when running PG. I'm assuming the same can be done for AD, if needed.

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

PUNKBUSTER should not have to target AppDefend because I do not block "READING" of remote processes like ProcessGuard and some other security applications do. Reading another process memory is probably how PunkBuster works to determine if any hacking applications are active, among other things.

If for some reason PUNKBUSTER starts targetting AppDefend for no particular "real reason" I have already devised several ways to get around it for my customers.

4. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Thanks. I purchased AD yesterday...figured I'd take a chance. Your support to this point has been, without question, outstanding.

A minor point, but I really like having these apps combines into one. Taskbar real estate is at a premium and having only one icon is a plus.

Any chance of making the right mouse click fucnctional on the AD programs list? It would be nice to be able to simply right click the app in question and apply permissions to it from that menu.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Any chance of adding this feature? There are some legitimate uses for this (like preventing games software CD-checkers from detecting CD-drive emulators), not to mention the WFP issue. And it would save some users from having to go out and purchase Sony-BMG CD's and renaming all their software to $sys$... :D

6. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

PUNKBUSTER

Is anyone here a gamer? Tried playing Q3 or Cod since you installed AD? Any problems? I cant join ANY PB servers since installing this, I get a generic pbcl.dll error and th egame completely freezes. I assume its related to AD although I am not sure. PB is a POS, that is certain. Switched from PG specifically to prevent this problem.... :(

7. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Re: PUNKBUSTER

Hi Kegel,

If PUNKBUSTER isn't working due to AppDefend it must be something generic it is covering which AppDefend must be doing. Try uninstalling AppDefend, rebooting, trying the game and seeing if it works. If it does then it would be AppDefend causing it, otherwise it is something else.

Since I have some old PB online games hanging around I will do some testing over the next fortnight to verify this also.

8. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

AppDefend is working very well with Punkbuster games (Quake 4, Battlefield 2 and Quake3), no problems at all.

I can now play online and remain secure, something I couldn't do with Process Guard.

Thanks Jason.

9. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

Perhaps I spoke too soon, while there is no problem with Quake 4 and BattleField 2 I am having some serious problems with Quake 3 multiplayer and Call of Duty multiplayer, they simply crash with AppDefend loaded. I have to completely exit AppDefend to play Quake 3 and Call of Duty online.

10. f3x

f3x Registered Member

As an alternative to completely quit AD...
    How your problem is doing when you only disable "Physical memory"

eg .. set your default profile for physical memory to allow always.
    If this solve the problem... big chance are that it has to do with whatever Jason already fixed in new beta to come regarding video card (especially nvidia)

11. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

Thanks for the assistance.

Same problem, I allowed physical memory access orginally.
    Even disabling AppDefend causes the problem; I have to literally close AppDefend down to be able to play Quake 3 online. Quake 4 is fine, no problems at all.

12. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Is there a possibility of this issue being fixed? Im considering uninstalling AD again :( Problem is, how do I do that? The only option is to uninstall GSS. I want to keep reg defend going. Do I have to go for the standalone RD instead? I understand that is an earlier version.

Just disabling AD soesnt work, GSS must be shut down and the service stopped to get on PB servers.

13. Dieter Bressem

Dieter Bressem Registered Member

Hi all,

don't know if there is a new version of Punkbuster. But I have to say that I cannot play Call of Duty (all versions) online anymore.
    The game will crash after 1 minute ("pb.dll causes an error")
    Even disabling AD won't work, trying to give all permissions to CODUOMP.EXE:
    same result.
    A few month ago I was able to play when I deactivated AD before.
    I think all players have a problem o_O

any new hint or trick ? Don't want to install a "gaming image" without any security programs.

Dieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.