Active X on my computer; how can I get a handle on them?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dcdc, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I was using the Tools option on Spybot, and was looking at all the Active X applications on my machine (about 15 or so). Of those, 3 were checked by Spybot as safe, and most of the rest I recognized. This left a few about which I have no clue, but I suspect they are mostly legitimate.

Is there a product analogous to BHO Demon that can help me sort these out? Some Active X I know I accepted for free scans of my system from legitimate security software vendors. My IE setting warns me about all attempted Active X downloads and asks me if I want to accept them or not, so if I have any reservations about the site, I will not accept the Active X. As such, I feel fairly comfortable about what's on there now.

I know I can disable them one at a time and see what happens, but this process seems both tedious and a bit risky in that I may disable something essential.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way, I do like BHO Demon, and Spybot seems to me to be perhaps more powerful than I give it credit for, if you know how to use the advanced features correctly.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without assuming wrongly....did you click on the items and view the info that's provided for each item ?

If so....and you'd like for someone to still look at the entries....in the Tools section select View Report....check mark only Include ActiveX list in report....then select the View Report button....then Export....save that report to a folder of your choice. Then upload the SpybotSD.Report.txt file as an attachment in a post to this thread.

3. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Hi Bubba.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I apologize for the slow response on my part, but I am just now getting back to the topic. Not enough time in the day these days.

Yes, I did click on the items in Spybot, but found some information a bit wanting on a couple of them. Just today I downloaded a new version of the MS Beta AS, and spent some time fiddling with it. It has some tools for dealing with ActiveX that other forum members might find useful.

Click on Advanced Tools at the top, then System Explorers, then under Applications choose Downloaded ActiveX.

I put the MS and Spybot lists side by side; very conveniently they are in the same order. By comparing the information I think all the ActiveX are legitimate.

Thanks for your commitment to this site - 3500 posts. Wow.

4. Sam42

Sam42 Guest

If you download Microsft Antispyware beta - you can view all the Active X, LSP and BHO and Q or D them what ever you like. Alos try Spybot

Hope this helps!:)

Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.