Active Desktop question.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have a pic. created using Irfanview I have used for Wallpaper in the past. I also have a couple other pics. found on the Web that I switch between. Since using Iconoid, thank you EASTER.2010 :thumb: , which requires Active Desktop to be turned off I can no longer use the pic I made with Irfanview. :doubt: Windows states Active Desktop must be turned on to use it. How ever I am able to use any of the pics. found on the web. This seems a little backwards to me. Can someone please explain the differences to me on why this is and\or what I can do to correct it. o_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what file type is the wallpaper? try making it to bmp see if that helps.

3. ThunderZ

Thanks, but thought about that. It is JPG, the same as the other wallpaper I use. So at least in this case file type does not seem to matter. Checked Properties. It was listed to open with IE instead of Irfanview, so I re-associated it. Still no luck.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

so you already tried changing the file type?

5. ThunderZ

Had not tried changing it to BMP. The other Wallpaper worked as JPG without Active Desktop. o_O Went ahead with your suggestion and you are correct. :D It does work as a bitmap. Just do not understand why. Appreciate the help. :thumb:

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I don't know the technical reason all jpg's aren't natively supported with the regular desktop but the active desktop is pretty much treated as a web page. And with few exceptions, jpg's are the standard image format for the web. For similar reasons, running web connected things like Yahoo Widgets needs the active desktop too...

7. ThunderZ

Thanks Han. At least I am not alone. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.