Acronis True image or alternative?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Bio-Hazard, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

HI Easter:

Excellent point, I forgot that in my case started from 0 and then selected PD8.5 and PM 8.5.

Just wanted to ask you do you use differentials or DVD's or external drives dedicated to full drive images? (sorry to many or operands)

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Excellent point ?

How can Acronis bashing be an excellent point ? Does anyone actually have any idea as to how many people have reported problems, how many have not reported problems ? Of course not. No one, including me, has the faintest idea as to the true figures.

The Question is - Acronis True Image or Alternative ? Isn't it about time that future posts focused on the Alternatives - rather than just this constant posting about how Acronis is the worst program in the universe, ever.

I tried Drive Snapshot yesterday and If I can figure out how to make a boot CD
    think it could be an excellent alternative.

3. Escalader

Hi Long View:

Sorry, but if you are referring to my post, I have NOT bashed ATI EVER! Never used it! Please clarify your post since it quotes mine. :D

This thread deals with ATI or Alternatives, all I have said is:

"When I first came to Wilder's, I was looking for a product in this area. But I read all the problems and issues here and to be blunt (as usual) I was scared off"

Your point on nobody knows the numbers is Excellent! I would like to see them for all vendor products before buying any!

Why are you looking at alternatives yourself if ATI works okay for you?;)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Longview's point was well made. More on topic of alternatives, and less on the "why" of changing.

5. Long View

I'm sorry - I was rushing too much. The bashing reference was to Easter.2010

"And thats just the registered statistics, doesn't even include the other hefty percentage that never reported failures but just moved on to something better."

Neither Easter.2010 nor myself have any idea as to how those who have not reported feel. Quite where "hefty" came from I don't know. It does seem clear that I like Acronis and Easter2010 does not. My point is that we should simply move on.

If I am happy with Acronis and have no problems why am I looking at alternatives ? well that's the way I find better products. It takes me 6 minutes to image my main C: and I'm looking to do better. I have no loyalty to any product and will drop it as soon as I can find a better one.

6. Escalader

Hi:

ty!

I have the same view you do on loyalty! 0 /product. Will keep current until better one is proven out on MY PC!

Cheers

7. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

What about OO's new Diskimage 2?

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have to get busy on that.

Lodore is also been waiting on some feedback to my results but so far i yet to get time to create an Image with either Paragon 8.5 OR 8.0 Special Edition which is been offered for free recently but am curious to what the results will ultimately turn out to be. Positive i expect.

FYI, i only use internal Secondary/Slave drives/partitons to hold my images then restore from the same to the Primary.

I'll get busy on this real soon because everything for me hinges on Paragon coming thru like peaches on this whether or not i take a chance on ShadowProtect or not. I support something that images quick but efficient plus restores without issue.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if paragon dont correct there online store and i cannot order a winpe recovery cd i might have to buy shadow protect desktop instead.
    i should get a reply from element 5 later today or tomorrow.
    since the normal paragon cd doesnt see my external usb drive
    i hope it doesnt come to that since paragon have been great with support its element 5 that are at fault by messing up links on the online shop.
    lodore

10. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Will you get your money back in case they don't send you the winpe cd ?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i should get my money back if they dont send the right cd this time.
    but i dont want to give up since paragon is a great program.
    how hard is it to make a winpe recovery cd and send it to me?
    i know they make them and i just want it sent to me.
    it doesnt take a miracle:D
    i bet they will send the backup cd by mistake again.
    paragon support is great.
    there online shop run by element5 is rubbish.
    i will give them a few more chances.
    i might see if my dad can ring up the german paragon building to see if they can get a winpe recovery cd sent.
    i will try and find the number now.
    lodore

12. Banshee

If you really like the software and you don't get your winpe cd you could create your own ?

1) You would create your own cd/dvd. (instructions here -> http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml)

2) You add the Mustangs Paragon HDM8 plug-in. Avail here: http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/

It should work.:thumb:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

14. Banshee

Np...Let me know if it works out ok.

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Because you don't mind trying others Long., is there any chance you could
    try something which is supposed to be the best that's ever been ?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Thanks,
    Regards.

16. Long View

I don't mind trying - I am constantly trying out new programs.

Image for windows downloaded and installed very easily. Made a system image - no real problem. I didn't like not being able to set 10GB for my image size - not important. Had to load PHYLock to be able to make an image

But I could not restore C: would not lock.

speed was a bit slower than Acronis 10 and image size about the same. If I could solve the lock problem I'm sure this program would be fine.

17. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Peter2150 - I only glanced at the application form for the evaluation copy of SP but I got the impression it is meant for businesses not individuals on a desktop. Do you think they would grant me an evaluation copy?

19. Peter2150

What I would first do is request an evaluation of the Desktop version 2.0. If that works you are in business. If it doesn't the problem is probably a driver issue which may have been resolved in version 3.0. They would probably give you a 30day evaluation of the IT edtition, as that would give you an idea.

As a first step request the eval of the desktop edition. If you have a problem PM grnxnm

Pete

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks. Just one question refering to your "If it doesn't work". What makes you consider that it might not work? Is version 2 tempermental?

21. Peter2150

Issue is can you see your drive in the recovery environment. If you can't see them in the additional drivers mode it means they aren't there. For example nvidia raid 0 drivers don't work in the v2 desktop version but has been fixed for version 3.

Pete

22. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks very much Long. - I was kinda hoping that BING would use
    Image For Dos, but either it uses the IFW, or you may have just D\L IFW.

Seeing tepe's next post to your's brings a question,
    He seems to use DOS to image, and I too have never used anything else
    but DOS via ATI - I notice many of the problems on the Forum, and the snag you mentioned, all relate to Imaging via Windows -
    Why would anyone Image via Windows, when via DOS is so simple and the locking problems just don't arise ?

23. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Tepe2,
    Just re-read your post and it appears that BING does Image via DOS - Do you use it for imaging, or only partitioning ?

If you use it for imaging via DOS, has it ever missed a beat
    during the process ?

24. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Does Image for DOS work with NTFS partitions?

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pete - Thanks for that info. The only Nvidia driver I have is a Nvidia Ge Force FX5200 driver. Is there any idea when Version 3 will be out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.