Acronis True Image 7.0 FREE for a limited time

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tobacco, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Ver. 7 will NOT backup directly to DVDs. That feature is in ver. 9. To use ver. 7 and DVDs you have to do the 2-step method. First make your image and store it on another hard drive (you'll have to split the image if larger than 4-gig) then use your Nero to burn the files to dvd.

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks once more for the info David.......but before I even start making back ups....I've just noticed a glaring error on my part to start with....My DVD discs are DVD-R!!?? DOH!...so I was on a loser to start with..:D :D :D

I shall be off hot-foot to my Compy-man on the morrow for a slack handful of the correct discs which will obviously be a good start.....

Cochise...Plussing instead of Minusing in Pasadena..

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks alot Chubb. Your trick worked !!! I will give it to my brother, who doesn't even know what backup means. :oops:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, can anybody explain what is the difference between these two offers?

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/acronistrueimage7/index

They offer it free on their website while they have withdrawn the offer from other site saying it to be a closed offer. ??

Is it ethical to get ATI from the link posted by tabacco or is it also some sort of closed offer?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Aigle,

I pointed this out in Post #10 about Computer Active..I also noticed that the offer was going to be available on a Disc in PCW in NOVEMBER??!!....the offer is supposed to expire in October according to Computer Active!....:D

Cochise..

6. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

anyone remembers when this version was released? 2004 maybe?

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Acronis TrueImage 7:
    Last available update: build #638, 2004-10-01

8. tgell

tgell Registered Member

9. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

thanks wilbertnl for info.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The November issue of PCW has been out for several weeks and is due to be replaced by the December issue. For some reason they work a month or so ahead of the date. Think it is partly competition with other mags and beating them to be first on the shelves.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Aahhh!...I see.....November Issue in October......Now I know why the Seasons are changing....:D :D ;)

Cheers, Cochise.

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I think I shall give ATI 7 Free, a miss.........Tried the DVDs as required and methods suggested without any success.....decided to write to CDs instead (8/9 required).....Acronis copied to four discs and then spit out the fifth??!!...did not allow to carry on with new disc.....so started again from scratch....it spit out the sixth disc...saying poor quality...Tosh!...So 9 Discs in the bin...Poor excuse...fat lot of good trying to copy if it's going to reject discs at random without the option of carrying on with a new disc from that point...cheaper to buy another external HDD I would have thought......I can live without the excitement of wondering whether it's going to complete a back up or not...:D :D:D

Regards, Cochise...Ranting in Randburg..

13. ErikAlbert

I tried to warn you in advance regarding CD/DVD's and it's good that you experienced it yourself. That is always the best lesson. That's the way I learned to protect my computer against malwares too. :)

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks ErikAlbert.....you were right.....I found it too much like hard work...but if you don't give it a go then you don't never know eh?:D :D...I can see now why there are whole Forums on the subject of Acronis...bless it's little heart..

It all looked so simple.....and believe me it has to be for me to get to grips..;) but I enjoyed the experience...

Regards, Cochise...:cool: in Kalamazoo..

15. wilbertnl

I prefer to test with rewritables first. :thumb:

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

NOW you tell me...:D :D :D

Cochise...Discless in Dixie..

17. wilbertnl

Some things are more enjoyable when done slowly...

18. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

But Backup is not one of them. :D :D
    Forget backing up to any kind of CD or DVD. It is just not worth the time or hassle - large hard drive are so inexpensive, use a usb hard drive instead.

19. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I think I have thrown away more CD & DVD's than I have ever used successfully. A lot I think was down to my own fault but I do find it a frustrating experience to do successfully.

With Acronis 9 I do use an external hard disk and find a Firewire better than USB. So far with ver 9 I have not had a problem with writing to DVD. I think so far I have not had to span a disk.

20. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Looks as though I have just joined the 'Illustrious Company of Acronis Duff Disc Dumpers' then David....:D :D :D

I noticed that the KEY word here seems to be Acronis v9 if one wishes to be remotely successful with full backup.....

Is this why v7 was thrown in the ring as a Freebie, to encourage sales?...

Am I right in assuming that Acronis have never come up with a way of continuing the Backup in the event of a 'Dicky Disc' wending it's way into the procedure.........I would have thought complaints about this 'Annoyance' would have been many fold....;)

Cochise...Just askin' in Juno..

21. ErikAlbert

Cochise,
    Never work with software names, they are just labels.
    You first have to find an image backup software that likes your total system and then you have to test the restoration very well. The backup isn't important and is always the easy part. The restoration is important and more exciting too, at least in the beginning. My first restorations were real thrillers, but not anymore, it's routine now. My image backup software is quite boring you know. Always backup, backup, backup and sometimes a restoration, that looks the same as a reversed backup. It's like running a AV scanner.
    I have more fun with FirstDefense-ISR, even after six months.

And buy yourself an USB 2.0 external harddisk instead of fooling around with CD/DVD's. An external harddisk is also more convenient to test the restoration. It costs a bit more, but a full re-installation from scratch takes alot of time too and time = money. :)

22. wilbertnl

Last week I purchased a 250 GB Western Digital drive for $60. :eek:
    I stuck it in an external drive enclosure with USB 2.0 support.

23. wilbertnl

Did you check if there is a firmware update available for your drive? In my case that made a difference between writing coasters and writing CD's.

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Good point. I used to have some software to tell what version firmware I have but now cannot find it. Thought Sisoft Sandra would do it but is does not nor Aida 32

25. wilbertnl

How about the manufacturer's website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.