Acronis TI and corrupted file after uninstall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JerryM, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I downloaded the trial version of Acronis TI. As I went through the partitioning process it was obvious that the process was going to take a long time with my machine, W98.
    I decided to cancel it and uninstall the program. Uninstall went OK, but when I start the computer I get a window that states.
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ENCOMPASS\ENCMONTR.EXE appears to be corrupted. Reinstall the file and then try again.

Another said that the ENCOMPASS DLL file appears to be corrupt. Reinstall the file and try again. I am not sure why the two warnings are different.

Going into explore it appears that this file is associated with Yahoo. I have an email account with Yahoo, but have not used its browser. The help file is Yahoo configured browser’s guide. I wonder if it is something that was on the computer from the start or if it came about when I opened an email account with Yahoo?

My machine starts, and seems to run OK, but what is that file and how do I correct the problem?

The corruption is evidently associated with Acronis TI as it had never appeared until I cancelled and uninstalled Acronis.

Help?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

This post is probably in the wrong forum. I think I got the answer as to the file.
    I have Winpatrol, and it is a great program.
    I have the member version on my new computer, but only the free on the old computer where the corrupted file is.

I asked Bill if I could use the member code for the other computer, and explained the problem. Here is his answer.

"Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your support of our WinPatrol program. Our unique
    policy is that "you" purchase the WinPatrol PLUS membership and not your
    computer. We encourage you to use WinPatrol on all your computers.

Your Name/Registration code can be used on any computer you personally own
    or use. I suspect someone on the Wilders forum may have been able to
    confirm our policy also.

I didn't see anything in our database named Encompass but I do
    recall they were a company that Yahoo purchased a while back. What we do
    have is...

Yahoo Encompass - ENCMONTR

ENCMONTR.EXE is part of Encompass, a simple web browser designed to give
    users easy "one button" access to the internet. The most common
    implementation of this program is in streamlining the software or hardware
    online registration process. This file is not required. If you terminated or
    cancelled a product registration, it may have been left behind.

Thanks again,
    Bill Pytlovany"

I did not blame Acronis as I terminated the operation early, but was not sure what the program and file were. Bill graciously helped that, and the Scotty is a great program. His policy is very generous.

Sorry that this is not in the correct forum, but I didn't think when I posted the original.
    And thanks to Bill again.

BTW I recently saw a signature that said something like, "Nothing is so idiot proof that a determined and experienced idiot cannot succeed."
    My quote is not totally correct but the idea is clear. I sometimes think I might fit in that category. :D

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the problem you have encountered and were glad to hear you have solved it. It was not quite clear what partitioning you ment in connection with Acronis True Image. The only possibility is that you repartitioned your hard disk when creationg Acronis Secure Zone. In any case it is a rule that if you interrupt the partitioning program (doesn't matter which particular) you are likely to obtain some corrupted files or some other errors. That is why it is very useful to create a back up before performing actions of the sort.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, Ilya, that is what I did, and figured that was the reason for the problem. I did not create a back up before creating the secure zone. I was not sure what I was supposed to do first, and so went with the secure zone partition. There is no real harm done, but that is the reason I put it on my old computer first. I do not blame Acrinis, but posted it here to see where I messed up.

So if I understand correctly, one should create a back up first. I think the program has that as an option. As I said, I did not understand in what order I was to do things.

I assume that the program creates a back up, but how is it done, that is relativel to CDs or whatever is used to store the back up?

Thanks for the help. The program is good, but my abilities do not match it.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.