Acronis TI 2009 Home Problem with Drive Letters

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spunkyvision, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spunkyvision

spunkyvision Registered Member

When I boot up the cd Acronis Shows my CD Rom Drive as C, the USB Drive (with image) as D and the New Destination Drive As E. How do I change these so when I boot in to the Acronis Software it shows CD rom as D and the USB as E and C as not used (to be restored)?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

spunkyvision:

The Acronis boot CD uses a different operating system (Linux) than Windows. Each OS has different rules for assigning drive letters. You should just ignore the drive letters; they are meaningless.

Instead, give each of your partitions (drives) a meaningful name. The partition names will be the same in both environments.

3. spunkyvision

Thanks K0lo
    I am now having another problem. I "successfully restored" the image on the new Raid1 Setup however, when I reboot I see the XP Logo then I get the BSOD with a Stop 0x0000007B error message and it will not boot.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

spunkyvision:

When you created the image did you have the RAID drivers installed in Windows? The most likely cause of the Stop Error is a missing driver.

If that's the problem, go back to your original disk. Create a dummy RAID array in the BIOS and reboot Windows. Let it find and install the RAID drivers. Then create an image of this setup. Restore it to your RAID disks and it should boot correctly.

5. spunkyvision

There is no other error with that message (usually you see INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE or something)

6. spunkyvision

Well it wasn't setup in Bios as RAID, so I changed it but it said it would delete all data. Prior to that I removed the original drive and installed the 2 new drives. Now when I put the original non raid drive in by itself i get the same error

7. spunkyvision

I changed it back to auto detect and system boots in to windows xp ok but I did not have the option to go in to the Raid Configuration

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

spunkyvision:

Take a look at this thread for the general idea of backing up a non-RAID disk and restoring the contents to a RAID array.

9. ArcTangent

ArcTangent Registered Member

This sounds like a remark that I responded to on another thread. Fits here, too:

If I'm reading you correctly, you have run into the problem that I experienced (and solved) some years ago ....

Drive letters frequently get totally mixed and switched up when you are not in Windows.

I did the following on each Drive.
    Created a sub directory on each drive, as follows: [C] 39.7GB // [D] 9.68GB // [E] 7.45GB .... and so on.
    This sorts next to the root folder, has the correct drive letter listed, and has the partition capacity.
    This removes a lot of doubt and the potential for some real headaches (there are plenty without this particular one).

Regards

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This won't do any good on ATI12/2009, because the BNoot CD doesn't show subdirectories when it offers a list of dirves to choose as a target for a partition/disk restore. In this regard, it is worse than prior versions of ATI.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

k0lo described the reason of wrong drive letter recognize absolutely correct.

When booting a computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version), the Linux environment used by the media applies the default Linux letter assignment rules to all the partitions and devices it finds on the system. The Windows-assigned drive letters on the same system are not considered. As a result, the letter assignments made by the media you get after Acronis Bootable Rescue Media starts up may differ from those used by Windows. This is a standard behavior and in no way does it indicate that the drive letters in Windows have also been reset; in such cases all the devices/partitions can be identified by their names/labels.

Regarding to RAID recovery - your controller should be configured and detected as RAID prior a recovery.

Please do the following:

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

1. Make sure that standalone version of our program displays your drives as RAID (not separate HDD's)
    2. The standalone version of Acronis True Image uses embedded Linux drivers for RAID arrays. There is a probability that Linux drivers for a specific RAID array have not been included yet. In this case you should try to use a special plug-in for the BartPE instead of the standalone version. This plug-in allows you to use Windows drivers for the RAID array when running Acronis True Image from BartPE bootable CD. You may also contact Acronis Support Team via livechat service and report that the standalone version doesn't recognize your RAID array. Our Development Team will add drivers as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.