Acronis TI 11 trial won't copy partition to partition !

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BOBC_4, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBC_4

BOBC_4 Registered Member

Hi,
    I have downloaded the Maxtor masterBlaster software ( basically Acronis rebadged) for cloning hopefully the entire contents of a partition on one HD to a partition on another HD. Now on the Seagate site I hoped this would do the job of Ghost as ghost is unstable for some reason on my PC now that it has SATA drives. I created a bootable CD-R with Full option and booted to it, chose the backup option as opposed to the windows icon (whatever that was for ?) and up came the acronis icon but then hdb: bad access: block=234441648, count=1.
    Not to be beaten I downloaded Acronis True Image 11, installed it, rebooted Pc and created another CD.
    This time success, chose backup and selected my win2K C drive partition, chose the destination partition V, found I had to give it a file name so win2K_01 and it was to be a *.tib file.
    I am now uneasy about this as I am used to ghost simply dumping the entire contents of a partition into another partition, not stuffing it into a file !
    Chose no compression and it said 9mins est time, but then it says this is a trial version and it is not possible to do this,..whats the point in a trial when I cant trial it ?
    How do I know it will clone partition to partition as I am used to if it wont show me ? Must know it works.

I can but ask then, I assume it stuffs my win2K OS into a file, then if I need to restore it to a corrupted win2K, I select that backup on my V drive called win2k_01 and choose a destination, C drive, and hey presto it installs to it and upon reboot my win2K works again, would this be what happens ?
    can I look into that file and select say a file or folder if I need to as with ghost ?

Cheers
    BOBC_4

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Something does not seem to be right here :)

First- the Windows icon from the boot CD allows you to boot into Windows, just in case you left the CD in the drive when it booted or you changed your mind.

Second - a clone does not create a tib file, that is an image file.

Third - I'm not sure that the trial version allows you to clone a system from the CD. It allows you to make an image, but not restore from the rescue CD.

Fourth - it is possible that th eMaxtor badged version has been 'crippled' slightly in its' abilities.

Fifth - It might also be worth running chkdisk/ r (note the space) just to ensure the integrity of your harddrive.

Colin

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

The trial version CD only allows you to do a restore and nothing else. Ohterwise no one would pay for TI.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When you choose backup, you create a backup image of one or more partitions. These backup files have the .tib extension.

If you choose Clone, then you copy an entire drive (all the partitions) to another drive. You cannot clone a single partition.
    And it won't. It clones drive to drive only.
    Yes, exactly.
    Yes. It's called Exploring the backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.