Acronis TI 11/FDISR/SP 4: Image/Snapshot backup in background?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chamlin, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

One of the reasons I don't backup as regularly as I know to be necessary is that I've always got some other tasks being done/run.

To backup my system I thought it was necessary for me to turn off a lot of background services and dedicate the time to:
    1. Defrag (Perfect Disk :cool:
    2. Snapshot update (FDISR)
    3. Image (Acronis TI 11) — which I generally do total backups because of the infrequency
    I also think I closed down either FDISR when imaging or Acronis when snapshotting (can't remember as it's so infrequent) because one got in the way of the other completing the task.

When reading one of the Shadow Protect threads it seemed like SP could do an image backup whilst I was noodling around on the computer. Really? Can TI do this? FDISR?

Guidance appreciated.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Most modern mirror imaging programs and the file-based FDISR use Microsoft's VSS which do indeed allow other tasks to be done while backing up, things will be slower, but it can be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Acadia

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks, Acadia. Slow would sure provide better data security than never! This will really help.

Anyone know if I need to shut down acronis when creating an FDISR snapshot or shut down FDISR when doing an acronis image?

And should NOD32 and Online Armor be off when doing either?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I don't use Acronis or NOD, but I do use OnlineArmor and I never shut it down. I never shut down my mirror imaging program or my anti-Virus either BUT if Acronis has a incremental feature that you are using you might want to shut it down; I do not use the incremental feature of my mirror program. Perhaps someone who uses Acronis can chime in here.

Acadia

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I never shut down anything when backing up with acronis or creating a snapshot with fd-isr. I generally just set the activity to a low priority so it doesn't slow my pc down to much while i do other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.