acronis T.I.-8.0 problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by conntaxman, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conntaxman

conntaxman Registered Member

Have installed acronis true image 8.0 and made a back up [image].
    after getting a virus and running spybot and many other programs,I tried to run Acromis to RESTORE my back-up image.
    It sees my back-up image but will not restore it.
    <snip>

edited to remove excessive editorialization and bashing - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: acronis T.I.-8.0 junk

If you are letting off steam and merely want a refund then details are <here>.

However, if you are genuinely seeking support/assistance, you'll need to provide a few more details e.g. TI 8 Build Number, operating system, type and layout of your hard drives, location of image, in what way would TI not restore the image, etc.

Regards

edited to remove quoted text from OP - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  3. conntaxman

I have acronis T.I.8.0 and have made a Image,
    is in my c drive in my documents,named Back up
    .when I start the restore,step 1 welcome to restore,Then step 2 "select an image archive, I would select that Backup.[next]"you can verify the image before restoring,"I click YES"
    Then it will say "Please select a partition or hard drive to restore.
    I check "FAT32[C].Just above that block is Disk 1, I didn't check that one.Then click next,analyzing partition c.
    Now it says "please select a target partition or unallocated space to restore the partition Image.I then check"FAT32[C]Next a block with 3 op.comes up.RETRY-REBOOT-Choose another disk.
    That is as far as the restore goes.

4. conntaxman

Im tring to RESTORE the image on the same drive.[c]
    could not find this tread so I posted on another and got knocked out.I guess someone was going to try to help me.But now o_Oo_O?

5. Menorcaman

Hello conntaxman,

I'm afraid you can't restore an image to the same partition that it's stored on. As part of the restore process TI deletes the destination partition(s). Therefore there will be no image available for TI to restore.

Regards

6. conntaxman

If I can not Restore my c drive {desk top] back to the origanal then what good is this Acronis? I made a F partition and it said that it restored that fine.
    But that is only in Explore table.
    I was thinking that this would be like the "RESTORE" on windown where you
    would restore the whole "C" drive.
    so another words I should Reinstall Windows xp !

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You can restore your C drive; just not from an image stored there.
    I will guess that the F drive image you restored from was on the C drive; not the F.

8. Menorcaman

Conntaxman,

Why do you think you would need to reinstall Windows? Just create or store the image of C: on your F: partition. Then when you want to restore the C: partition, boot from the rescue CD and use the image that was created or stored on F:.

Regards

9. conntaxman

well just found out that I LOST my backup.I tried to copy it over from c "mybackup" over to F drive and It looks like it went from F to c instead,SOOOO now I lost myback up.
    I guess it is easier just to REinstall windows and all the programs.
    Not good,
    not nice,
    out $44.00 dollars.

10. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Frankly this is just a case of either not reading anything in the help section of Acronis True Image (or any backup programs manual), or not having any knowledge of any backup or imaging product made by any company. The Acronis "Wizard" probably just walked away shaking his head! :doubt: Just basic common, extremely elementary, backup knowledge should ring a bell somewhere that one can't backup, or image, a partition and store what he's imaging, or backing up to the exact same location of the original backup. Anything that would happen to the partition, would therefore happen to the image, so the backup would be completely redundant. In fact, I can't really see how he accomplished this feat in the first place. Just how could you backup C: Drive as the target of your backup, and place the backup, or image in this case, of the C: Drive back on the C: Drive as it is backing up the C: Drive? This is like a time warp!

Wheeee...u..eee o_O , this kind of thread must really make the moderator's day!

...Allen o_O

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  11. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I try to be civil, but really, I almost choked on my beer when I read that “tried to copy from C to F, but it went from F to C” LOL

Can you say T R O L L ...

12. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

You paid $44.00 for Acronis True Image v8.0 while Newegg sells the latest version for $29.99? Yeah, that would annoy me, too. :)

13. Menorcaman

Hi Allen,

Amazing I know, but True!! Due to TI's "live imaging" technology, you can, in fact, save the image to the same partition that's being imaged. However, as most of us (other conntaxman o_O) realise, you can't then restore it to the same partition without first offloading the image to another partition, hard drive or removable media.

If you're interested in how TI achieves this apparent "slight of hand", have a read of this article by Acronis Technical Director Max Lyadvinsky titled <Disk Imaging in Windows - Increases user productivity and permits broader range of backup devices>.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  14. Allen L.

Thanks for the clarification, Menorcaman, and pointing out the link that I had seen before, but now re-read. I'm still confused however, in how the image (not to get too technical here) can be copied from the 'frozen' bitmap from Window's Memory and then at bascially just slightly later, copy the image back to the same partition it just finished imaging...the identical active partition.

To quote from the Acronis explanation article provided by your link (of course this is referring to True Image v.6, but is still the basic backup principle):

"The obvious choice is to create a mirror image of the disk-a starting place that gives you an exact copy of your disk on a CD, DVD, network drive or tape so that in the event of a hard disk failure, you can recreate exactly where you were the moment you made the backup."

At no place in Aconis' explanation of the technical methods of a 'live' backup of an active partition, can I find any inference that the image could be placed back to the same partition being imaged. I can however see that it possibly could be placed back to this partition, due to the method of imaging being preformed, but it seems that the interface would refuse the imaging order placed by the operator due to the command: (for example) "Image= C: (active primary partiton)...[;chose destination following=]..."Destination chosen for "image of C: (active primary partition) = C: (active primary partiton)". If that command were issued, I would think the program interface would interupt the operation, and state that this is not viable.

Am I wrong...??

...Allen

15. Menorcaman

Hi again Allen,

Well, lets just say that you're not quite correct!! ;) :D

When you save an image to the same partition that's being imaged, TI pops up a warning recommending that you copy the image elsewhere later and asks whether you wish to continue. See screen shot below.

Regards

Attached Files:

16. Allen L.

Thanks for the clarification! I never attempted such an action, or saw that banner, because it would be so obviously, shall we say without be polite, stupid to do in my opinion! ;)

I'm glad the program gives out that warning (I presumed T.I. would have to make some complaint about such an action!)...makes you wonder even more about this thread's originator, Mr. Conntaxman, and why he would complain about the True Image program after it gave him ample warning about his actions.

Thanks Menorcaman :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.