Acronis Startup Recovery Manager messes up my MBR - ntoskrnl.exe missing (not really)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Petrosini, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petrosini

Petrosini Registered Member

Hi!
    I created a Secure Zone with my initial version of True Image 9. Must have been released around the beginning of March. All worked fine. Some days ago I upgraded the the above mentioned build 3.567 and found out about the Startup Recovery Manager tool. So I activated that feature from windows and created a backup of my OS partition within the Secure Zone. I have a Raid1 with 2x300 GB SATA drives and one 250GB SATA boot drive with Windows XP partition C:\ and a temp partition T:\ - both NTFS. I took some space for the Secure Zone from the Temp partition. The next day I had to reboot my computer because of some update and it then wouldn't boot anymore. It was able to access the drive but was complaining about a missing C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - which I recovered from the XP Pro disc (although it wasn't actually missing in that folder). Still no difference. I checked the boot.ini. Was set to the correct partition - would have been complaining about HAL.dll in that case first anyway.

So I ran a XP repair from the WinXP disc and did a fixmbr and fixboot. That did it. Again I tried to run True Image to activate the Startup Recovery Manager - now from the original disc. The same damn thing happened. So I am pretty sure that the initialisation of the SRM somehow messes with the MBR in a way it should not.
    A funny thing is that now two of my three partitions on the Raid1 array are being checkdisked each time windows starts. Do you have a solution to that? It does not find any errors, but starts it each time - only for the data and install partition.
    I have the report.txt (Acronis analysis tool) created with the system not booting (missing ntoskrnl.exe). If you need the same report with the working (fixmbr-ed) system, then let me know. I would really like to be able to create a Secure Zone with SRM for my OS partition.

Anybody else experiencing that problem? I have a MSI 8KN Neo2 Platinum MB with nForce3 Ultra and am using the recent NVidia nvraid and nvbus drivers. Athlon 64 Venice E6 3200+ and 2x512 MB Corsair XMS. 2xSeagate 300GB SATA on SATA 3 & 4, Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 10 250GB SATA on SATA 1.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please create Acronis Resport on the working system?

Please also do the following:
    1. Issue the fixmbr and fixboot commands booting into Windows Recovery Console;
    2. Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue CD.
    3. If the problem remains then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected report files to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.