Acronis "special upgrade price" for TI10.. HA!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Crappopotamus, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Just checked out the Acronis website to see how much of a bendover they wanted for the 'special upgrade' for the owners of TI9.... Wow... 29.99 , the same as a brand new license from newegg downloadable software.

heh. I think if you registered within the last 6 months with TI9 it should be 19.99 and within 9 months maybe 24.99..

I needed a laugh anyway today.

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

ATI 10.0 is not available at Newegg yet.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Unless you found some other Newegg page, that downloadable version for $29.99 is 9. I wonder if it qualifies for the free upgrade? Anyone know.

4. Crappopotamus

ahh yes, just realized I quoted the price for TI9... I should have been a bit clearer and said "their upgrade price is the same as the full license price for TI9." THey have been at 29.99 since the release of TI9, so if they follow the same schedule it will hit at that level too.

Well, it would be a license key that you could register with them and upgrade.. so 6 of 1, half-dozen of another as far as the route to get there..

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Be careful. If it really is the upgrade version you will need the license number of the previous version for it to work.

6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Also keep in mind if you add the $29.99 upgrade version to your cart and then hit the back button on your browser, acronis will popup an additional 10% off and that equates to an extra $3.00 off with a total price of $26.99. For this to work I think you need to be using IE and have popups allowed for the Acronis site. I just did this last night and got the ver. 10. I have to say thus far it is working really well with the little I have done with it. Made 2 images to an external usb 2.0 drive, 14 minutes for about 15gb image. Not too bad really and it seems to run smoother than 9 did on my system. The only quirk I have found so far is with the rescue cd creation where you have to put the blank disk in the cd burner but leave the tray open before running the command in Acronis or it gives a drive busy error. Otherwise it burns it just fine. The other quirk I found is if you use the image explorer and when finished just close out of the explorer window causes an error message on exit something about a set point or to that affect. Nothing bad happens though and the window just closes out.

All in all I have a good feeling about this version being this early over the ver. 9 when it was first released. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Also there are many features I have not yet even tried so time will tell.

7. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

what free upgrade?

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you bought TI9 within the last 30 days.

9. Crappopotamus

Interesting, thank you for the tip, something to keep in mind.

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yeah, got this: :eek: :eek:

Thanks!!! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. diddlydumdum

diddlydumdum Registered Member

I see ATI (Home) version 10 has been released. Going by what I've read in this and other threads, "escaped" would be a more accurate term, I guess. But this isn't why I'm writing.

I bought version 9.0 about six months ago here in Australia for AUD 100 ($99.95, if you want to quibble). I've done a back up every weekend over that time - so let's say that's 25 backups. Dividing a hundred bucks by 25 backups gives me $4 per backup. That's pretty expensive no matter which way you look at it. I'm not complaining overmuch: my data is safe (I hope; ATI ver. 9.0 tells me it is whenever I've made a backup and verified it). But still, if this is considered too high a cost in a (admittedly small) commercial environment, wouldn't it be similarly viewed in a home situation?

Acronis may claim that other software developers charge for updates. This is true; however, other manufacturers such as ESET (who develop and market the excellent NOD anti-virus software), Symantec, MacAfee, even (God help us) Microsoft charge on an annual basis and, in the case of Microsoft, only when a new version - which has an operating life of a few years - is released. For instance, MS Windows 2K was supported until very recently, and is possibly supported even now for all I know. Again, after its release in 2001/2002 XP is still supported.

So will I buy ATI 10? Well, not until I've had my money's worth out of version 9.0, really!

Diddles

12. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I am in a similar position. I am reasonably happy with 9. I've had the odd interesting issue but nothing too bad and the pluses of ATI9 outweigh the minuses. There have been no updates to ATI9 since I bought it (and there are some issues that could have been worked on) so I am a little disappointed. It has left me wondering if a model where customers can upgrade for a smaller sum of money or subscribe to the software would be better. I'm not sure I can see pros and cons both ways. Anyway not having ever benefited from an upgrade/bug fix to ATI 9 I am left a little disappointed. However I have been saved from a lot of inconvenience by the use of these backups so I have benefited from the software.

There isn't enough reason for me to upgrade to 10 (especially while it's a new release and not yet stood the test of time) though by the time I buy Vista, 11 will probably be out. Do you think they will allow 9 users to buy the upgrade to 11? How does the policy work today?

Fairyliquidizer

13. Michael Kammer

Michael Kammer Registered Member

I purchased my version 9 at Frys on the 6th of October. I was told several times by Acronis that "all I have to do is provide proof of purchase" and I would receive an upgrade.
    I do not know what is wrong with a copy of a receipt. I sent that to Acronis and I have heard nothing. How long did it take before anyone actually RECEIVED their version 10 key?

So far I am not too happy with the "support" that I have receied from Acronis. I have used version 9 at work for some time, so I thought I would get a legit copy for myself. I did not expect this aggrivation.

14. Atomic_Ed

Did you also register your ver 9 ser# on the Acronis site? I would make sure you do that and then email them again, see what happens but I am fairly certain they will give you the free 10 upgrade as they said within ver 9 purchase within 30 days it is free to go to ver 10.

15. Crappopotamus

hmm I just tried that and didn't get a popup.. they hate me... :) I have popups enabled on that site too.

16. Atomic_Ed

I just tried it now after reading your post and it is still working on mine. Are you using IE or another browser?

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I would think that Acronis customer service are busy vetting the receipts and answering questions from customers all over the world. They may need to process more than a thousand e-mails every day ranging from technical technical questions or customer service enquries. As an internal control, I would expect that they need time to check the validity of the receipts, expecially when the purchase is not directly from the Acronis online shop. I have no idea how complex the checking or vetting process is, but I would allow at least a week or so for them to do this. They may need to obtain a certain level of internal approval process before they can obatin a new serial number and sent it to the customers. Of course, you may want to chase them for this if you do not received a reply within a reasonable time.

As an internal control measure, I don't expect that the customer support staff will have the authority to generate as many serial numbers as they like. You can image the senario when they received your request, they simply don't check it and issue a new serial number right away. If that is the case, and if I am an internal Acronis staff, I can simply create a lot of fake receipts and issue as many serial numbers as I like. I just don't think it is the case.

I am not trying to speak on behalf of Acronis or trying to offend anyone, since I am also a customer, but I would like to say that issuing a new serial number may not be that easy as we might think. I can say that their response time is not so good sometimes, but maybe they are busy at answering the questions from e-mail. When I have a technical question, I always try to post it from within my account on the Acronis site and I usually receive a response within 2 days.

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Crappopotamus, did you use IE? I only get this popup with IE, but not Opera and Firefox.

Maybe you can try this direct link:

http://shop.acronis.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry?CID=193514&SID=44905&SP=10034

I tried to copy this direct link from IE to Firefox and Opera and it is showing the correct USD3.0 discount.

19. merrifield

merrifield Registered Member

Feel totally ripped off... purchased TI9 just over a month ago... 32 days before the new release... when I asked for a free upgrade was told that 30 days is the cut off point and that is it. Talk about putting company rules before people. Acronis should have made it known a new version was coming out several months before releasing it.

20. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

That's a shame. Hopefully v9 works OK for you and you do not need V10 to fix V9 faults. Acronis tend to release a new version every year by the way. My hazy memory is that they released

V1 2002

...??

v7 2003
    v8 2004
    v9 2005
    v10 2006

So we all know there's a good chance V11 is slated for 2007.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.