acronis disk director 10 does not detects the kubuntu

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by suslic, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suslic

suslic Registered Member

hi,
    i dont know why but my acronis os selector does not suports the kubuntu, i have done i think everything was written i the contents ( the help ) , but it stil does not work with kubuntu,
    acronis detects the kubuntu as an unknown( as you can see in the attachment ) OS and when i try to run thar OS it says me that it is not supoerted.

what is happenig and what i have to do to solve this problem??

i thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I have Ubuntu and Windows.

I use the built-in Windows NTLDR to boot to Ubuntu or Windows.

I learned how to do this the hard way 2+ years ago for ubie 7.04, a few weeks ago, I repeated for ubie 9.04.

If you want to try this, I'm getting ready to write up what I did within the next few daze.

If u r interested, I'll try to do this sooner rather than later.
    The method should work for systems with Win 2000 or Windows XP.

3. suslic

suslic Registered Member

i thank you very much for your answer.
    could you explain me what is built-in windows NTLDR, ubie
    and i am intersted in your method. i had read a lot of stuff form the kubuntu official forum but nothing worked properly for me or i had done something wrong... i dont know.....

furthermore i am using the xp pro sp3 english,
    but why the acronis does not recognizes the my kubuntu??
    what is wrong with him??

4. Howard Kaikow

ubie=Ubuntu

When you install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, that install sets up NTLDR and a few other files on the C drive for booting Windows.
    When tyou added a 2nd Windows XP, that mechanism would have been automatically updated to handle both Windows XP.

If so, there should be a boot,ini file on the C drive that has entries for each of your Windows XP.

If you have that mechanism properly set up, then it is not so hard (because I now know how) to add Linux to the boot.ini menu.

What does your boot.ini file look like?

5. Howard Kaikow

6. Howard Kaikow

I just put a, slightly, clearer article at the web site.

7. Howard Kaikow

If you download the file im the last hour or so, please redownload.

8. suslic

suslic Registered Member

i dont have 2 xp windows, gest 1!
    and i not able to open my kubuntu OS.

i think that the boot.ini file that you are asking me is that u can see in the attached file.

and furthermore the purpose of you site is not so great, or iam not understanding well his purpose.
    when you install the ubuntu after installing windows it makes the user able to choose the OS, and your site describes something the user must do in the kubuntu meanwhile it is not necessary.

Attached Files:

9. Howard Kaikow

If your goal is to be ablle to multiboot Windows XP with *ix, the document I posted is the streaightforward way to do this.

10. suslic

suslic Registered Member

but is there some way to change something in the boot.ini file to make the kubuntu bootable??
    and in your site you describe some changes that must be done when installing the ubuntu, but i have it already installed and i would like to make him again bootable.
    in the kubuntu forum i found some tutorials but none of them worked for me.

11. Howard Kaikow

Yes, as I recall, most of those tutorials are from the Linux perspective of using either LILO or GRUBB as the boot loader, instead of Windows NTLDR.

The Super GRUB Disk web site states what I say in my article, but that document is much harder to read, and some of the details are not all in one place.

Indeed, it was adrian15, the author of the SGD, who solved my problem 2+ years ago. There is also a useful SGD forum, but, as I have now gone thru this twice, you might as well benefit from my pain and toil, you will just end up doing what I included in my article.

See the 1st paragraph under "Installing Ubuntu" in the article I posted.
    If you installed the boot record within the partition, rather than in the MBR, then you need not re-install, just make the modifications I listed for each Linux distro that uses GRUB.

There might be a way to copy the boot record from the MBR to the partition, and then clean out the boot record, but I've not tried that.

It may be easiest to clean out the MBR, one way is to use the Windows Recovery Console, and then re-install Kubuntu, taking care to follow the instructions on recording the boot record in the partition.

Note that when I first installed Ubuntu, version 7.04, 2+ years ago, this is one of the things I had scrwed up. Indeed, a few weeks ago, I discovered that I still had GRUB boot records on two other drives. I used Windows Recovery Console to fixMBR on all 4 of my hard drives, and I reformatted a ZIP disk. Yes, I had really screwed up, and somehow put a GRUB boot record in the MBR of a ZIP disk! I think this happened when I tried to install Ubuntu to a USB drive, but my ancient pC will not boot from a USB drive.

And, you should download the latest version of my article. I've made significant clarifications since te first draft.

12. Ulf

Ulf Registered Member

Hello,

I just like to share my experience about the topic of this thread.
    BUT I have installed Ubuntu v9.04. I guess it should behave like Kubuntu.

Acronis Bootmanager version 10 is running in its own partition and it has been installed from a VISTA partition. I create one Linux swap partition and one Ubuntu partition. I let Ubuntu delete and re-create both partitions (+format) again.
    I installed Ubuntu on another partition with its standard partition manager in the SAME partition as Ubuntu is running (an opition of extended menu). Before you need to memorize the partition e.g. 'sda7' which you have assigned to Ubuntu.

Also Ubuntu did not complain it has not been recognised on the first place by Acronis. I think the 3rd try was succesfull.
    Don't ask why. I have no idea what could have been different.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
    Regards,
    Ulf ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.